First build, 1 st pics too!

GoldenMotor.com

Mr D

May 24, 2010
fresno ca
Hey guys, Here some pics of the Dyno Roadster im building. (kinda kicking my ass) should have picked a junker to practice on...Anyway, waiting for the chain in the mail. Still have to mount the tank, tighten up everything, and... Talk to a muffler guy about routing it way to the rear. Enjoy!

Since im a newbe here any comments are welcome. For example: do I have too much angle on the carb? (I need to know lil things like that) So, I you see anything I shud pay attention to. Let me know. Thanks D~

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Mr D

Nice Build, Looks Like A Shining New Penny. Congrat`s And Welcome To The Forum. Thanks For sharing. Ron

Last edited:

nidyanazo

May 25, 2010
SoCal
Hey cool build.

Ya you have too much "angle on the carb"
So take it off.

Then remove the inlet 'manifold'
Flip it upsidedown, then re attach.

Install carb.

Done.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hey cool build.

Ya you have too much "angle on the carb"
So take it off.

Then remove the inlet 'manifold'
Flip it upsidedown, then re attach.

Install carb.

Done.
I have to agree. Its a little hard to tell from the photos but it does appear that the intake manifild is upside down. Flip it over and you should be good.
Other than that pat yourself on the back. You've done a fine job and if it runs as good as it looks you're in for some fun cruising. Let us know how it rides and don't hesitate to ask if you need any help. Thanks for sharing with us.
Tom

Mr D

May 24, 2010
fresno ca
Thank you so much for the feed back. I flipped the intake to clear the seat post. Having a hard time getting the carb to fit in that lil space. Guessing it not going to work well like that. Hmmm, gonna have to make or purchase an "offset" one then. That should solve the issue. The throttle feels really strange as well. First i broke that lil plastic tit off. So I drilled a hole right through plastic housing and set a screw in all the way into handle bar. The unit now stays in place. When I twist the grip, it doesnt feel right. Has a "catch" in the middle of its rotation. is that normal?? :-||

omegaunderground

Sep 16, 2009
modesto
I see your fuel line there, and just a warning most fuel lines that come with the kits get sun cracked fairly easily... mine was leaking gas and dry cracked within 6 months (grubee kit). I took some wire loom like the stuff below and put it over the fuel line... made my fuel line black to match my frame/tank/entire bike, and keeps it from dry cracking. After I replaced the fuel line I bought 6 feet of this stuff from Wal-Mart for around 2$ and went to town. Nice build by the way.

Last edited:

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
That's a great looking build, but speaking from experience, do something else with the mounts. Those are going to bend like butter. Mine did easily. They bent and then the screws ripped out of the chrome clamp. I would suggest doubling up on the steel, and then put some sort of brace between your rear seat post and where the rear bracket/mount attaches to the engine, that way when the torque sets in the engine won't get pulled back, which will happen no matter what with out some bracing. These little engines need a solid rear mount to keep from being pulled by the chain. I know on mine I had to put a pulley on the top so the chain would clear the frame(same as yours) and this caused the engine to be pulled downward every time I hit the throttle which led to mount disaster, ugh. Good luck!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thank you so much for the feed back. I flipped the intake to clear the seat post. Having a hard time getting the carb to fit in that lil space. Guessing it not going to work well like that. Hmmm, gonna have to make or purchase an "offset" one then. That should solve the issue. The throttle feels really strange as well. First i broke that lil plastic tit off. So I drilled a hole right through plastic housing and set a screw in all the way into handle bar. The unit now stays in place. When I twist the grip, it doesnt feel right. Has a "catch" in the middle of its rotation. is that normal?? :-||
Check the circular groove inside the throttle where the cable rides. Its common to find it clogged with mold flash (plastic). If so it can be cleaned up with an Exacto blade. I have also seen the little lead barrel that's swedged on the end of the cable turned so it doesn't ride smoothly in the socket provided for it. You can use lubricant in there too as well as the cable itself. Make sure you have no tight bends in the throttle cable (it doesn't look like there are any) and to check if the binding is in the cable or the carburetor remove the air cleaner, twist the throttle and look into the throat of the carb to see if the throttle barrel, sometimes referred to as a 'slide' is moving freely. If you're still unsure remove the bonnet from the carb where the cable enters it and twist the throttle. If it still binds its the twist grip or cable. If it doesn't there's a possibility that the carburetor clamp is too tight which in some cases causes a warp that will bind up the action of the slide. Just a thought; is there any chance you caused a binding when you screwed the throttle housing to the handlebars?
Oh, and after looking again I agree with Venice about the metal used for the engine mounts. It could be a little heavier. These little 2 strokes produce a lot of vibration and some torque. Scrimping on motor mounts can come back to bite you. Keep us informed.

Tom

Mr D

May 24, 2010
fresno ca
Great tips guys Thank you thank You! I will incorporate all of these hits before I put a drop o fuel in that clean new tank. Really appreciate the input.

SAVAGE

May 6, 2009
CHICAGO,ILLINOIS
Hey guys, Here some pics of the Dyno Roadster im building. (kinda kicking my ass) should have picked a junker to practice on...Anyway, waiting for the chain in the mail. Still have to mount the tank, tighten up everything, and... Talk to a muffler guy about routing it way to the rear. Enjoy!

Since im a newbe here any comments are welcome. For example: do I have too much angle on the carb? (I need to know lil things like that) So, I you see anything I shud pay attention to. Let me know. Thanks D~
hi i have a similar build to yours ,and i think you got a nice looking bike there . just a few suggestions, i would double up on the simpson ties you used for the engine mounts to make em a lot more rigid ,and i would slide the engine forward a lil since it looks like you have some room and that will give you the clearance you need for the carb near the seat downtube after you invert your intake to mount the carb at the correct angle that is . other than that you have a really nice build going . .bld.

i-paint

May 24, 2008

Nice looking bike!!! I think you willl need a third mount, from the top tube maybe, to one of the head bolts. The engine is going to twist under power. Usually the rear mount is attached to the seat tube which keeps the twist under control.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Great job, really nice lines! Look into one of Jims billet intakes, inexpensive and worth it! (Manic mechanic) The intake is short and should fit. I concur with the comments on the mounts, building "overkill" mounts saves allot of pedaling 20 miles from home!!