6V lights/run/turn/brake/circuit help

GoldenMotor.com

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I have built and life tested most of this circuit. Where I need help is with optimizing the components.

Although I have life tested it, I want it to be the best it can be!

It consists of 4 seperate 21 led lights(cheap and bright $4 ea. w-shipping).

The front lights, placed outboard on the handle bars, run full time(21 leds X 2) and blink for turns.

The rear lights(Ea.) have 9 leds on full time and all 21 on for brakes.

I do realize that the white wire will not keep the battery fully charged. But it does extend running time to 10+ Hrs.

I will be greatful for input for inprovement.

Attachments

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
What are you using as a pulse generator? You might be able to force the output high at that point to save yourself some transistors. I don't think it'll make a huge difference, though.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I am using one of those cheap $9 brake/turn/horn controls. I am only using the turn signal output of the control. The lights are ok(at night possiably) but are pretty useless during the day. That's why I incorperated the more powerful headlights and break/ turn signal. The max load is about .5amp-500ma.
That is why the driver circuit was incorperated. I am building a NE555 turn signal pulse gen. It's output is about 200ma. Perhaps I should have just gone with form-c relays but didn't.

I do not ride my MB at night, but still wanted an adaquite system.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
It looks like a good simple design with easily available parts. The only "life" issue I would be concerned about is the quality of the construction but since you designed that I bet you know which end of the soldering iron to hold on to. Is the turn signal switch part of the box you're calling the pulse generator?

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Finfan,
Yes the turn sig. sw is part of the cheapy control. It is hard to center once you slide it to a turn position. It will be replaced asap, but with all my different MB projects not just sure how soon.
This the only pic of the control I have(old pic of similar control)

Attachments

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
Use the output of the 555 to drive a small relay...you'd get the output current you'd need and that cool "tic-toc" sound to boot =D

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Yes I guess I will build, a simpler 555/relay system for the second bike.
Remember the old kiss rule "Keep I Simple Stupid"

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
This is the relay version of the transistor design. It is up and running. Did away with the cheap control and am using NE555 for the pulse generator.
Consist of four 21 LED lights, two mounted on the handle bars near the grips. The other two are mounted outboard in the rear.
the headlights have been designed for the way I drive(lights on day and dark).
The two front 21 Led lights blink off for turns.
The two rear 21 Led lights work this way, 9 LEDs on for running lights and blink off for turns. The other 13 LEDS of the rear lights are used for brake lights.
The 21 LED lights work well and are very cheap.
The light marked headlamp is an incandesant light used when there is heavy rain, snow or national emergency!

Attachments