New engine blues....

GoldenMotor.com

mwarning

Apr 11, 2009
Wisconsin
I'm looking for a few suggestions....I've got a new dax 80cc for my next project. I pulled the head and jug and painted the fins to spice things up a bit. Looks cool, runs crummy.

For break-in, I'm running a 20:1 mix. It started right up and ran OK for the first 10 minutes, then started losing power. It feels like its starving for fuel, but adding a little choke seems to make things worse. I've tried the needle in all 3 positions, sealed the carb intake connection with permatex, tried a different plug, etc... now it starts hard and I've got to work like crazy to keep it running for 5 seconds. Engine turns over freely, no binding, fuel is flowing freely, head bolts were torqued to 12ftlbs.

What am I missing?

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I'm looking for a few suggestions....I've got a new dax 80cc for my next project. I pulled the head and jug and painted the fins to spice things up a bit. Looks cool, runs crummy.

For break-in, I'm running a 20:1 mix. It started right up and ran OK for the first 10 minutes, then started losing power. It feels like its starving for fuel, but adding a little choke seems to make things worse. I've tried the needle in all 3 positions, sealed the carb intake connection with permatex, tried a different plug, etc... now it starts hard and I've got to work like crazy to keep it running for 5 seconds. Engine turns over freely, no binding, fuel is flowing freely, head bolts were torqued to 12ftlbs.

What am I missing?
Check the seal between the jug and engine case. I'm betting that after the paint job and reassembly the gasket is leaking at the transfer port area...This would explain why it seems to be starving for fuel and yet the choke is making it worse.

Apply the choke and the engine is going to draw air through the path of least resistance!

Jim

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
Try to make sure all of your wireing is correct. try using a different wire from your cdi to your plug/ plug gapped right (you can use any 6-7mm wire) it just screws in. ?head bolts properly tightened, try running the carb needle in the middle position. and see if that helps. where is your idle screw at? post som pic's of how your carb setup is. trying to help out

mwarning

Apr 11, 2009
Wisconsin
A couple excellent ideas! These forums are great...!

The base gasket makes sense--I'll seal that up or cut a new one and try it again.

Also, the cdi on the bike is from the existing King's motor that was on there. I just stuck the Dax motor on there for break-in and didn't change the cdi...figured they are all the same. Something else to try! Give me a couple nights and I'll be back with results.

Thanks guys!

mwarning

Apr 11, 2009
Wisconsin
I think I'm fixed....I tried running the motor with the muffler removed completely, and it sounded much healthier---had some power back. The muffler that was on there was not the new muffler that came with the engine, because it was hitting the frame when mounted. I pulled the new engine and put it on a different bike with the new muffler, and so far it seems to run ok. Feels a little weak, but it's still a new engine so I'm taking it easy. I've had similar problems with chain saws before....watch for exhaust restrictions!