chopper bike? stingray vs. other

GoldenMotor.com

bballstar1297

Apr 18, 2013
Florida
Hi all, I am new to this forum and world of motor bikes but very excited to be joining. For my first bike, I want a cool looking chopper bike with an 66cc (80cc) motor with a budget of about $400. I am not quite sure what bike to use though... All i can find om craigslist is the schwinn stingray, which i like, but im afraid about size... the stirgray is quite small an im 6 foot and growing so i want to be a ble to fit on the bike. Any suggestions, ideas, and imput will be appreciated. Thanks!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. We're glad you've joined us. Lots of good information and help here and the members are always willing to share their knowledge.

They're a little out of your price range if bought new but I'm pleased with the two Nirve Switchblades I have. They require custom engine mounts and that the engine be offset to the left but they are big comfy bikes.
You might look at ebay. They do pop up from time to time. The newer models have front disc brakes, the older ones no fronts only rear coasters.

Good luck and keep us informed of the progress on the bike you build.

Tom

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
It does not seem like the smallest of frames will suit your needs very well.
You definitely have enough $'s to build a motorized bicycle, but you should read through a bunch of threads to see how other riders built theirs...
rc

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
The Electra choppers are really nice too. A Rat Fink or Straight eight would make a nice motorized bicycle. The Felt Bandit is a very cool chopper, but they are kind of rare.I need to get a Nirve to round out my chopper collection.

Garrett66

Mar 8, 2013
Wilmington, North Carolina
Hey BBall and welcome to the forum, I'm a 6'3" 215 pound senior in high school and I have the stingray. It is not to small for me, especially after I cut and re welded the seat about 6 inches back and some 25" ape hanger handlebars. Check my bike out and see for yourself, it is a great size and a sick bike!

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I like my Schwinn chopper frame, even at really high speeds it feels solid, it just needs a suspended seat and fork to smooth out the ride since it is such a solid frame you will feel every hit otherwise.

Braddo

Aug 4, 2012
Australia
If you really want a stretch i'd look at the fantasy stretch beach cruiser frames, then get yourself a cheap std 26" beach cruiser off ebay.. swap the parts to the stretch frame and you're away! much more room for a 6' tall bloke to ride on.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I have seen people add a banana seat and ape bars to the schwinn stingray chopper to make them more comfortable for taller riders. However, the schwinn stingray is difficult to motorize, compared to a steel mountain bike or cruiser. The engine must be mounted offset to the left so that the motor chain clears that fat rear tire.
I think you would do better to motorize a steel mountian bike or cruiser for your first built. You will be on the road and gaining experience much sooner. You can transfer the motor kit to a chopper after you gain some experience. Just my 2 cents.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I have seen people add a banana seat and ape bars to the schwinn stingray chopper to make them more comfortable for taller riders. However, the schwinn stingray is difficult to motorize, compared to a steel mountain bike or cruiser. The engine must be mounted offset to the left so that the motor chain clears that fat rear tire.
I think you would do better to motorize a steel mountian bike or cruiser for your first built. You will be on the road and gaining experience much sooner. You can transfer the motor kit to a chopper after you gain some experience. Just my 2 cents.
Very good advice. Unless you have good fabrication skills and the tools, starting out with an ambitious build can be frustrating. Get some experience with a simple bike first then move on to custom work. You'll be happier in the long run.

Tom

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Yeah, my dirty old mountain bike gets plenty of head turns. There is still a crapload of people in this city that have never seen one before.

Don't worry, people will think it's cool wether it's on a motorized bicycle frame, or a chopper.
Believe me!
I think I have a nice bike, despite the dirt and the grease (and the guy riding it)

Must admit though a motorized chopper is pretty cool!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Not sure what your problem is. You made a post unfortunately it is in a very old thread and probably won't get much attention.

Try making your first posts in our 'Introduce Yourself' section and tell us a little about you and your motorized bicycle project.

Look at the section headings and find 'Introduce Yourself' then click on the 'new thread' button in the upper left hand corner of the page. Enter your thread title then type in your comments and click the 'submit' button.

I hope this helps.

Tom

Aug 17, 2011
Springfield IL.
Lets see.....

1.Wants a "motorized chopper".
2. 6' tall and still growing
3. $300 budget

If it were me, I would suggest a 26" used cruiser for $50 or a brand new Huffy (Millennial or Cranbrook) for about $125.

Then simply add a set of ape hangers ($25 used) and new engine kit($125).

Take the extra $25 left over, and fill up your gas can, and enjoy!