Rand Trailblazer

GoldenMotor.com

Preston L

Sep 17, 2013
Utah, United States
This is the third bike I have motorized. I got the bike for free from my uncle and I got an old motor scooter for free as well. I motorized the bike with a Grubee Skyhawk kit and stripped the scooter of its electrical components such as the headlight and blinkers and horn, then fitted them onto the bike. I had a 12v 14a battery laying around so I filled it with acid and hooked it up to my electrical system along with an atv headlight/blinkers/horn switch. I also picked up a replacement brakelight from autozone and wired it up with a momentary switch in the brake lever. I have a charging port mounted in a radioshack project box that I plug a 12v 1a charger into to keep the battery charged. I've thought about making a trickle charger using a dynamo that runs off a tire, but I've run out of money for this project.
I also bought some accessories such as the moped mirrors to make it safer to ride, speedometer just for fun, and rear rack to carry extra gas and the battery. I'll include some pictures of the bike below.

Attachments

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Nice. Lotsa stuff on there. The muffler looks like it is hanging down far enough to be damaged when driving off a curb. I think you can remove the lower cap, cut the muffler to desired length and replace the lower cap. You may need to drill a few small holes for attaching the lower cap to screws.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The exhaust is pretty cheap to replace - about $30. However, if the exhaust hits something and snaps off the studs that connect it to the motor, it will be a major PITA to drill out the studs and retap the threads. If you don't ride off road or drive over parking stops, you are probably OK with the muffler at stock length.
I like your lighting system. I had used a 12v SLA battery and auto driving light on my pedal bike when I needed to ride in the dark.

Last edited:

Preston L

Sep 17, 2013
Utah, United States
I will look into replacing the exhaust. I hate to run bikes without lights because if I don't have them then I can't ride in the night at all. I refuse to ride in the dark without lights because I am terrified of being hit by a car, and SLA is the best way to go in my opinion. The blinkers are just a bonus, I never use them because they're harder for another driver to see.