What spokes to use

GoldenMotor.com

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Ok I am going to be replacing the hub on my 20" x 4 1/4" StingRay wheel with one that has freewheel and bolt on disc flange. This wheel will be used on my AMF bike with the 50cc pit bike style 4 stroke engine (Honda knock off). What I'm wondering is what would be the best spoke to use? Should I go with a heavier gauge or with a double or triple butted spoke?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Thicker is ALWAYS better if you have a choice. Go with the biggest spokes that fit.
They look bad a$$ too!

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I get my spokes from holmeshobby, he cuts them to order they are nice 12 ga. Stainless you can go bigger but a 10 or 11 are going to be tough to find in a short length without being too pricey, do you know what size you need. What type of hub are you using coaster brake?

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Not too sure workman may have the size spokes you need for a 20 inch wheel I think they have a 20 inch production wheel.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
I get my spokes from holmeshobby, he cuts them to order they are nice 12 ga. Stainless you can go bigger but a 10 or 11 are going to be tough to find in a short length without being too pricey, do you know what size you need. What type of hub are you using coaster brake?
It is a Freewheel with a disc brake on the other side. The flanges are just slightly different in size.

Stock dia 2.8", spoke center to center on flange 2.4"
New hub dia 2.962", spoke center to center 2.6"
Hoop stock Schwinn 20" (16" real world size of hoop) x 4" stingray

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
You need to measure the actual rim diameter for spokes, if you pm me your email I will send you a PDF book on wheel building that explains. If your old hub is a coaster I would gladly take it off your ands.