Anyone Using Moped Wheels?

GoldenMotor.com

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
I have a set of all chrome, Puch Magnum forks. The stem measures 26mm, and the stem is 7.5" total length, and the length over all is 26". Triple tree of course. Bought them to use on a build I was doing, but they were to wide for a bike hub.
So are you guys using bike forks with moped hubs, and how are you making that work?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i use bike forks. the front hub i have is skinnier than most, though.

plus, i cut a 26" tubular fork down and rewelded the dropouts back on. i moved them to the outside a little for the width.

one problem i'd worry about is the bigger axles in the front hub. most forks don't have much meat on them to grind 'em bigger. without welding on something stronger, i'd just go with a worksman or sturmey archer drum. they work just as well and you don't have to modify anything.

superharry

Mar 10, 2012
Mira Loma, CA.
Baird, thanx again for the build of my back wheel. That should be the shiz when I get it installed. I will have to get a sprocet (engineside). Can I borrow you frame stretchers again? ha

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
i'd just go with a worksman or sturmey archer drum. they work just as well and you don't have to modify anything.
This is what I am planning. On the rear, I am lacing in a Puch moped hub, but in the front, I am using a ARAI NEW drum which is meant for a bicycle.

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
OK, so I tried to build up my wheels using a ARAI NEW drum brake hub in the front and a Puch moped hub in the rear. My plan was to use the rims and 12g spokes from a wheelset I purchased from BikeWorldUSA.com, the heavy duty cruiser rims. Anyway, what I found was that the spokes were slightly too short to do a 4 cross (maybe .25") and slightly too long to do 3 cross (again, about .25").

So I entered all the info in spokcalc and sure enough, it says I need 10" spokes to do 3 cross and 10.5" spokes to do 4 cross.

I have 10.25" spokes. I have read that others on this forum have successfully built up their wheels in this manner (using the donor wheel spokes) so I wonder what I am doing wrong?

I may try again as I am not keen on forking out another $50 or so on custom spokes, but it seems an exercise in futility.

Any ideas?

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I've laced up only a couple wheels, and have no expert info for you, but I'm watching for advice you might get! :)

1/4" too long doesn't sound like a huge problem to me, since the hub should be able to rotate a bit to compensate for length and just get a less desirable angle on the spokes???

Perhaps a die to extend the threads on a spoke?

Dremel tool the excess after lacing up the wheel??

Good luck
rc

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if you do a 3 cross and they're a little long, you can grind off the tips after it's all trued up.

just make sure the nipples thread down far enough.

i go over all the nipples on the inside on every wheel i build, anyway. seems like there's always a couple sticking up so i grind them down.