Idle adjustment screw - ideas how to stop losing it?

GoldenMotor.com

Bronze

Aug 12, 2012
New Brunswick
I lost my original idle adjust screw first few days riding. Replaced with a pen spring, and a screw from a hardware store that fits perfect. However, I have since lost the remade one I did, and am just using the screws.. came in a pack of 10 or 12....

What are some methods of keeping this damn screw from shaking out, I hate having to check it every 10 min of driving.. the spring helped it alot keep it in, but.. without the spring it shakes and unscrews pretty quick... ( within 20-30 min) but with the spring it still shakes out.... Would loclite blue ( removable) be handy for this once I had it adjusted right? Or is there a more around the house method..

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I lost my original idle adjust screw first few days riding. Replaced with a pen spring, and a screw from a hardware store that fits perfect. However, I have since lost the remade one I did, and am just using the screws.. came in a pack of 10 or 12....

What are some methods of keeping this damn screw from shaking out, I hate having to check it every 10 min of driving.. the spring helped it alot keep it in, but.. without the spring it shakes and unscrews pretty quick... ( within 20-30 min) but with the spring it still shakes out.... Would loclite blue ( removable) be handy for this once I had it adjusted right? Or is there a more around the house method..
I think it would be alright to use a little dab of blue, or even silicone. There are sealers you can find at auto stores that are a little more resistant to fuel, if that becomes a problem.

Another idea would be to find a stronger spring.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You haven't told us what carburetor you have but if it is the popular NT just any screw won't work. The idle screw has a shank at the end of the threads that fits the slot in the slide or barrel. A standard machine screw will probably bind in that slot because the diameter is too big.
Also the spring is a lot stiffer than those in ball point pens. Loc-Tite would be the last thing I'd want to try. Look for a stiffer spring and you need to grind the end down smaller than the threads. Here's a photo for you.

Tom

Attachments

Bronze

Aug 12, 2012
New Brunswick
2 door thanks so much, I will make my own screw by dremeling of the threads at the end.. and i just picked up a couple packs of loctite blue today finally, was on sale for 6$ a tube!!

Thanks for the ideas guys! man i love this place...