Death Race Flashback

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Is that you and Alex battling in 1st and 2nd place? ;)

dnut
Yes that was me and Alex. I was on my 48cc RockHopper and Alex on the 58cc GT2. Foureasy and his Hybrid puch was running 3rd till he had some engine problems.

Cavi Mike-Was that one guy wearing a ball cap? Helmets weren't required?
It looks like a ball cap but it was a helmet.

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
Yeah that was a flash back. Hard to think I've been riding motorized bikes for that long. I had a lot of fun riding that tandem. I gave that bike to the son of a friend of mine. If you want to experience a real thrill, (like the death race :)) give your bike to a kid. That kid will never forget about the importance of sharing and giving. Almost brought a tear to my eyes seeing how happy he was. Too bad the death race is no more. I always had a good time.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Not quite a (bicycle) race to the death
By Dean Knuth Arizona Daily Star

Link http://azstarnet.com/news/local/east/article_b9e65a5d-ba44-56ea-a597-67f74bc21c4e.html

Riders on motorized bikes apexed around corners, drafted on the straights and simply put, screamed around the track during Saturday's Death Race 2009.

This was the fifth annual Death Race where an estimated 30 members of the motorized bicycle culture meet in Tucson from all over the Southwest.

But this was the first year the "Outlaw Desert Event" has been held at the P1 Kart Circuit, 11800 S. Harrison Road. Previously it was less regulated with rides through Saguaro National Park West and other open roads.

"People love this type of transportation," said bike builder Roland Bosma, who owns Spooky Tooth Cycles in Tucson.

The purpose of the event is to get people who love motorized bicycles together and share ideas.

"Tucson is the only place where you can really come together and meet in person," Bosma said.

He looked down and pointed to an orange mountain bike with an engine mounted to the frame.

"New carburetor, after-market expansion chamber, all of that comes from the sharing of ideas. We all support each other," he said.

"Alternative transportation is in the hands of the backyard mechanics."

Lenny Anderson agrees.

"Everybody likes to work together and get together," Anderson said. After years of regular cycling, Anderson found the motorized bicycle works better for him.

"It's kind of neat to put a motor on there. I get a lot of the same fun I got from riding a bike," he said.

But for Bosma, the Death Race comes back to the community.

"This event is to share ideas as a true community and foster an open-mindedness for alternative transportation," he said.

Attachments