Help please! :), Weak Rims take a look!

GoldenMotor.com

Mojo

Dec 26, 2011
33755 Clearwater Florida
Alright, i hope this is the right section,
i have a Haro Flightline Two DX Mountain bike, she's beautiful bought her some downhill forks for like 400$ and some other fancy upgrades, she is a hard tail, well the rims did not get an upgrade yet, here are the specs for them

Wheels
Hubs Pivit Disc
Rims Weinmann ZAC, 32-hole
Tires 26 x 2.10" Kenda Klaw
Spoke Brand Stainless, 14ga. (2.0mm)

Well, The issue i am having is that before i even got a chance too strap my engine on or Any of my kit, i was riding her around a little checking her out,

i was riding at about 5-8 mph tops, when a car pulled up into the crosswalk in front of me, those F**Kers! nothing new though, people are A** hats some times,

So i dropped off the curb rather than waiting for them to GTFO of my way lol,
i did not bunny hop or wheeler off of it or anything crazy like that simply dropped off,

Well when i got the rear tire off the curb, as soon as it touched ground it Felt like i suddenly had rear suspension!, so i looked back and my rim was folded in half...

shocked! completely Shocked, these rims and the whole bike are brand new, yes it is a 09'' model, but the man i bought it from off Craigslist was a rich guy, he bought it for a 4 day camping trip for 550 new, bought 250$ worth of upgrades,

He Rode it 10 miles then stuck it in his air conditioned garage until two days ago lol, so these rims are in tip top and Yes, i checked for wear and tare and if they were true,

it was in perfect condition, i am just shocked by this!, i mean back in the 1930's people were riding around bikes with out any suspension or any fancy Expensive parts,

jumping ramps and hitting 10 feet of air then slamming down on the ground with excessive Force too both rims, yet i was doing 5-8 mph and lightly dropped a curb,

i am 170 -180 pounds and 5'11 nothing too big and this is a VERY sturdy ''bike'' as for the rims, Well you know...

ANYWAY what i am looking for here is some help finding a Rear 26'' wheel, hoping for a pre built one with everything already there, has too have 6'' disc rotors on it,

My budget will allow me a maximum of 80$ USD i Can re-spoke- and all that good junk if the price is right!

seeing as though these wheels were going too be taking on the force of an engine, i think im gonna need something decent too keep me from being too scared to ride my bike now lol.brnot

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
36 spokes are stronger then 32 spokes
double wall reinforced eyelet rims are about as good as it gets
stainless steel spokes

lace up a new wheel or find a good deal using those specs

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Rag joints dont work well on 32 spoke wheels, they are designed for 36 spokes. There are 9 bolt holes, each bolt goes through one pair of spokes where they intersect. When you assemble a rag joint on a 32 spoke wheel there are only 8 spoke intersections, and only about half of the holes are gonna line up with the spoke intersections. It can be done, I did it, but I had to drill extra holes in the rag joint so I could get 8 bolts through. Even after doing this the sprocket wobbled like he11, took a LOT of work to make it run smooth.
IMHO I would NOT recommend you build with a rag joint on a 32 spoke wheel, I wont do it again. If the rear wheel has a disc brake mount you can mount the drive sprocket there, that should work out nice, but you gotta have another rear brake to do that.
As for the strength of a 32 spoke wheel, my wheel is double walled, stainless spokes w/ Shimano DeoreLX hubs from a late '80's Specialized mountain bike. They are super strong, plenty strong enough, I have abused the he11 out of them both with and without the motor and they still true up nice....

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
SBP shift kit.... no other brake is needed but the factory in the rear
Gotta disagree with you here, Yank.
It's just not good to advocate riding a motorized bike without front brakes. It doesn't really matter what type is on the rear, rim, drum, coaster or disc; You need front brakes.

As for the OP's question, I concure with nightcruiser. Trying to mount a rag joint on a 32 spoke wheel is just asking for trouble. Whatever rim he buys should have 36 spokes.
Also I have seen at least one successful application of a disc rotor and a driven sprocket mounted together. There is a vendor here who offers an adapter for doing it but the rear sprocket must be small, 32 or 36T to have room for the caliper.

Tom

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
If the rear wheel has a disc brake mount you can mount the drive sprocket there, that should work out nice, but you gotta have another rear brake to do that.
with a shift kit no other brake is needed but the stock rear as you did not remove it in the first place

so still stands that no other brakes but stock are needed
clear it up any?

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Gotta disagree with you here, Yank.
It's just not good to advocate riding a motorized bike without front brakes. It doesn't really matter what type is on the rear, rim, drum, coaster or disc; You need front brakes.

As for the OP's question, I concure with nightcruiser. Trying to mount a rag joint on a 32 spoke wheel is just asking for trouble. Whatever rim he buys should have 36 spokes.
Also I have seen at least one successful application of a disc rotor and a driven sprocket mounted together. There is a vendor here who offers an adapter for doing it but the rear sprocket must be small, 32 or 36T to have room for the caliper.

Tom
you cant mount a ragjoint on a bike with disk brakes in the rear in the first place

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
we're talking about mounting the sprocket to where the brake disc would go, hence the need for another brake (since you have to give up your brake disc for the motor sprocket).