Rear suspension not working out?

GoldenMotor.com

Sherriftom87

May 16, 2012
CT
Hey guys,
So, my issue is this. When I sit on the bike, the rear suspension ends up giving the chain way to much slack and it starts bouncing around like crazy. It hasnt jumped off yet because Ive stopped riding it. Cant seem to figure this out.
I feel(tell me if Im wrong) that if I add weight to it and then adjust the chain, when i take weight off of it it may cause unnecessary tightness. And I dont think its a good idea to drive with what looks like a rubber chain.
Ive come to the conclusion that I need another bike. If any of you guys could think of anything I havent Id greatly appreciate any ideas.

Thanks

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
The only way FS will workwell is if the pivot point of the rear end is in line and near the drive sprocket like in a motorcycle.
OR friction drive would work, with the engine mounted on the rear triangle.
I guess you could eliminate the rear suspension and still use the bike.
Possibly adding spring loaded idlers would solve the problem too.
How about pics?

Sherriftom87

May 16, 2012
CT
Still tryin to figure out pics, but in the meantime Im pretty much done breaking down the bike. Getting a Cranbrook. I know I wont run into nearly as many problems with that bike. This whole build has been a much need learning experience as it was my first.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Try to make a spring-loaded chain tensioner and use it in addition to the tensioner that came with the motor kit. One member used an old rear derailleur to make a motor chain tensioner. Some vendors on this site sell a bolt-on, spring-loaded chain tensioner.

Sherriftom87

May 16, 2012
CT
Thought about a spring tension-er but that isnt in the cards right now, besides the first aftermarket mod I plan on buying is the hub adapter and sprocket from the pirates. Already had to wait a week for a new throttle cable that I should be getting in the mail today. Me no want wait any more. Its probably for the best though. The bike I used was the "NEXT Avalon", I had to customize almost every aspect of the build. Had to make my own mounting hardware, for everything... had to use a 90 degree elbow to get the carb mounted since the frame was way to small for it and am convinced that it would have leaked air. At least I have a bike for parts now.

Sherriftom87

May 16, 2012
CT
J/k i guess i did have the carb mounted up. you can see that the face of the carb is pointed toward the camera.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Wow that is a tight fit. Looks good though for a mtb style bike. Reminds me of my Cadillac MB. It has a little 17" frame, and was a very tight also. I had to grind out some of the block on the front mount to get it low enough for the carb to fit. It was made by Kent Bicycles, like your bike.

I think the only way for you is a spring loaded tensioner, and I would make it my next buy. You need it desperately. You can't allow the drive chain to unload that much. You're lucky you haven't already thrown the chain.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
if your rear shock is adjustable, tighten the spring tension on it so it doesn't compress as much.
this might help, but it will make the ride stiffer.
At least you could try this until you can figure out a spring tensioner for the chain.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
if your rear shock is adjustable, tighten the spring tension on it so it doesn't compress as much.
this might help, but it will make the ride stiffer.
At least you could try this until you can figure out a spring tensioner for the chain.
That's actually a very good idea. Lock it up altogether. That would solve the problem, at least till you can figure out how to put a spring tensioner on it.