Strongest Chain For Shift Kit?

GoldenMotor.com

wileydavis

Nov 22, 2010
Bozeman, MT
I've never broken a sram 8-speed chain (PC870). I've got an EH035 engine that runs all the power through the crank and a single chain to the rear cassette (now a nuvinci). A couple of thousand miles and no chain problems.

As long as everything is aligned, a standard 8 or 9 speed chain is no problem. Those tough BMX chains, aren't any stronger (usually they're weaker) than a shiftable chain. Where they are tougher is in their ability to withstand grinds and bashes against rails and curbs. Probably not what you'll be doing w/ your MB. Then again.

Tohri

Aug 28, 2010
People's Republik of Massachusetts
You won't want to use that chain, it's a single speed BMX chain. And in fact, it IS #41 chain.

I wouldn't worry about snapping a chain as long as you have a nice new chain properly installed. If you're concerned, throw an extra chain and extra masterlinks in your tool kit.

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Don't waste your money on that expensive chain. A good 410 chain will do just fine.

Buy yourself a chain breaker tool and don't use any masterlinks in the shift kit chain, or the derrailer chain.

Correct chain alignment, tension, and proper spacing between chains on the front freewheel chain-rings are vital with the shift kit, not so much what type chain you are using.

Spend you money on something that will matter like a good pipe, or tires.

Get the most bang for your buck, this hobby can get expensive quick.

Just my opinion though

TiM

wileydavis

Nov 22, 2010
Bozeman, MT
410 chain will not work properly with a multi-speed rear cassette. You need to use a 3/32" chain, not a 1/8.

So unless he's using a geared hub with an 1/8" cog, 410 won't be ideal.

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
I was referring to the shift kit chain from the front freewheel to the jackshaft sprocket
I am aware of the fact that a 1/8" single speed 410 chain won't work on rear derrailer freewheel or freehub.

TiM

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
Yeah I just wanted to make sure I had a good drive chain.

Good to know guys, i guess I need to make sure I have a 3/32 chain.

So you've never had one break on you guys? Also good to know.

Is there any specific chain you can recommend?

wileydavis

Nov 22, 2010
Bozeman, MT
DuctTape: While 6 and 7 speed cassettes use 1/8" chain, 8 and 9 speed cassettes require 3/32". Eveni fi you could, why go through the hassle of spacing an 8 or 9 speed cassette when a 3/32 chain is at least as strong, if not stronger, than a 1/8 chain in tension. Plus, the multi-speed chains are designed to derail, meaning they'll shift better than a single-speed chain.

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
i use KMC stretch proof chains.. the 1/8 for the motor to jack shaft and jack shaft to front sprocket.. and the 3/32 for the main drive chain.. they have put up with alot. from long hill climbs to hard shifting. and the 1/8 both have master links right now.

at first going from the 415 to a 3/32 it made me uneasy.. but it has more then proved worthy. and like many have said before, if its installed right you will be fine with most any chain..

KMC chains are great chains and they dont really coast much more then your run or the mill chain..