Hot Weather Riding

GoldenMotor.com

Sassifrasstea

Jul 19, 2008
Eastern Oklahoma
I was just wondering if it was too rough on the motor to ride in 100+ degree temperatures. Have you guys ridden any distance in this kind of heat? I can't seem to find anything on this subject. I live about 12 miles from work and would like to ride, even in this heat, but don't want to hurt the bike. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I don't see a real problem with riding in hot weather. As long as you don't leave the bike just idling with no air movement, you should be fine. Quite a few motorcycles use air-cooled engines much larger than these. Hope that helps.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Here in AZ I ride well above 100deg. all summer long. Lose a little power do to the heat but other then that no plroblems. Last July made a 140mile trip to Mexico in the heat, just stopped a lot for a few minutes every now and then but that was more for me then the motor.

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
I ride my HT in 115F temps with no problems. They run fine at higher temps, just dont run them too hard & take breaks every now and then to let the engine cool down.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
I commute at 4:30 PM and 6:00 AM in Phoenix area, and could swear that at 110 - 115 the motor has less power that in the morning at 80 - 90 degrees. This could be my imagination as the brain fries at 105 and I am not sure how sane I am after 30 years of commuting like this. I do not find any problems and have 1300 miles with no failures on a Robin Subaru EHO35 running thru a Staton gear box. Pablo we can find even less than 80 degrees if we go to the cooler at 7-Eleven.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Yep, pretty much all motors will make less power once they hit a certain temp. Nothing out of the ordinary though.

Heh, I rode to work this morning and I was almost wishing I brought a light jacket...was a bit nippy :) Bike ran great though.