Stock sparkplug connector

GoldenMotor.com

Outlaw378

Oct 18, 2010
Lansing
My father and I both have the grubee skyhawk GT5 and we both had the same problem.
The plastic connector that fits onto the top of the sparkplug does not fit.
We both pushed and pushed until the connector just crumbled to pieces in our hands.
Has anyone else had a problem with this? What should I do?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The kit supplied plug boot (connector) will not snap onto a spark plug unless you remove the top cap of the plug. All plugs, at least those I've encountered, have a removable cap that unscrews. Once removed, the plug connector will snap onto it. I've never liked or used the kit plug boot but instead replace it with a good automotive quality boot and I go so far as to solder the wire to the metal contact before installing it in the rubber part. Of course, soldering means you have to use a metallic core wire, not the carbon resistance wire found at most auto parts stores today. There has been a lot of discussion about which is best. I and others prefer metallic (copper) wire but SBP sells a brand of resistance wire that has tested as good, maybe better than the solid wire. Whatever you choose, get rid of the plastic kit supplied plug boot. They just don't work as well as the better automotive boots.
Tom

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
word homie

i broke my boot the first day but still used it until it completly broke off then i just shoved the wire onto the plug end i eventualy took one of my dads bike he still doesnt know but when he finds out ill put the csh out and get a new wire boot and plug for all three bike im holdin off cause im cheap

today i was talking about my bike to sombody and went to start it to show of sounded bad and started miss firing it turned out the crappy boot vibrated out and it definetly wasnt impressive

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
wow so i just put another plug wire and boot on and just cant beleive the improvement i got out from it i reeally cant beleive changing a plug wire and boot would bringout so much performance and it only cost 6 bucks i didnt get anything fancy just regular 7mm copper corewire and a ngk boot with a plug i cant remember the model but its highly recomended

it was so much better i even bought my dad one to although i did ow him one

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
cheaper faster solution go to auto store buy a better plug there are many listed on this site buy a new boot and wire dont have to wait for shipping

CiveraNC

Dec 9, 2010
Asheville, NC
Are you guys cutting the existing wire and attaching the new one or is there a way to get into the CDI box and directly connect the new plug wire? Would it even make a difference?zpt

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Are you guys cutting the existing wire and attaching the new one or is there a way to get into the CDI box and directly connect the new plug wire? Would it even make a difference?zpt
From the Sick Bike Parts website:

Spark Plug Wire
Remove your old spark plug wire from the CDI box by unscrewing it in a
counterclockwise rotation. Test fit the plug wire and cut it to an appropriate length. Screw
the cut end of the plug wire into the CDI box using a clockwise rotation and apply firm
pressure toward the CDI at the same time. The plug boot will require a standard ball type
end on you plug. The old stock one had this piece removed exposing a threaded tip. This
boot will not work with the stock plug. Be sure to acquire the correct plug.