1/8 to 1/4th steel plates as spacers?

GoldenMotor.com

AzToker

Feb 28, 2010
Too Stoned, Az
Hello, I am in middle of trying to get the 48cc mounted to the colson. Having some problems. If i have the engine flush mounted in the front, it sits to low and sits on the pedal sprocket. Now i if i grind down the mounting block to the angle to fit, I will stil have a gap in the back before it gets to the stem i have mounted on the back post. Figured some plates behind the mounting block would work. Now if i do it that way, The rear bolts are at an angle. I think about 75 degree down. Forgive me i am crappy at the angle part. I will probably have to grind down the back mounting block also. Now the back bolts will be at a steep angle to put the nut on. I have pics in my 1950's colson project thread on vintage section. Any tips would be awesome.

Will be going to ace later today to look around for something to work. I am planning on grabbing some steel plates and u bolts for the front if i cant get the spacers to work right.

P.s. I only have a few tools as in jig saw, sawzall, drill and hand tools. No welder or plasma cutter or shop to get custom made mounts.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Typically the rear mount is fitted first, with as little modification as possible, as it locates the proper angle of the engine. The front mount can get all kinds of customization to fit the frame securely.
Check out bairdco's pictures for Colson frame ideas.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I concur... mount the back first & THEN make a mount for the front.
You can easily bend a piece of 1/4" steel into a nice front mount with a vice, a hammer & a little heat! ;)