what is the best value in lighting

GoldenMotor.com

beerbattered

Jan 1, 2010
Coral Springs FL
What would you say is the best value in lighting in terms of brightness for the buck, durability,ect....?
JensonUSA has 50 something different lights from $12.00 to $800.00. I thought the Cat Eye EL450 looked like a good choice
Cat Eye EL450 Black Led Headlight
but it might suck, I have no idea. What do you use?

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
go to walmart or any auto part store and buy yourself a motorcycle batterry 12 volt and a set of fog lighting kit the lighting kit comes with everything you need its really bright usually people can seee you from far away you only need one light just keep the other one for a spare

wasabi805

Jun 2, 2010
Santa Barbara, CA
go to walmart or any auto part store and buy yourself a motorcycle batterry 12 volt and a set of fog lighting kit the lighting kit comes with everything you need its really bright usually people can seee you from far away you only need one light just keep the other one for a spare
how does this set up work? do you need a generator or something of that sort? I'd like to have a lighting set up that doesn't turn off on me do to vibrations like my current AAA battery, LED bike light set up.

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
how does this set up work? do you need a generator or something of that sort? I'd like to have a lighting set up that doesn't turn off on me do to vibrations like my current AAA battery, LED bike light set up.
Yea, I've got that issue too.

A friend of mine has this light though which doesn't shut off due to vibrations. They don't list it online for some reason but Walmart always has it on the shelf if you don't have a Target around.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
that light looks sweet unfortunately, it looks similar to my light that shuts off.
I also have the 12volt 50w Halogen fog light set up mentioned above on one of my bikes, I ride it 16miles to work in the dark and it will put a very bright beam on the road out to about 40-50 yards, all you will need is too have a small 2 amp battery charger at home so after each time out you can hook it to the battery and recharge it, my battery is not a big 12volt battery, it is the type that is used to operate a 12volt deer feeder, it is a 7mah battery and will run my 50w Halogen light for somewhere in the 90-120 minute range before needing to be recharged, this serves my purpose just fine but a better battery would even last longer I'm sure, this is the best way I have found to have a very bright light without breaking the bank for $300-$400.

I paid $15.99 for my battery and $18.96 for my lights at wal-mart, $3.00 for a toggle switch and maybe $5-$7 for all the rest of the wire and basic hardware to hook it up.

Hopr this helps, Good Luck.!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Here is a pick of my old beater bike that has the 12 volt set up, I also have a solar panel on mine to help recharge the battery during my ride back home in the sun. bike is very dirty because I live down about 3 miles of cleachy dirt road.

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
^^^---Nice rack---^^^

Thing looks like an xmas tree. lol.
Yea LOL, as an ole country boy I tend to red neck and/or rig things up some time, I bought all that aluminum at my local tractor supply store, and then with my MAP gas torch I welded it all together using Alumi-Weld rods I picked up at a Harbor Freight store, it's kind more like a frankenrack but I just did what I could with what I had to work with, it's the first thing I ever build under a shade tree out of Aluminum, I just thought it would be better to keep it light instead of using steel round bar. it's kinda ugly but it works. Thanks

That bike is built out of several different bike I had laying around, it dont look like much but it rides like a dream with the big gel foam seat and the front suspension forks, I can sit straight up and comfy with those old BMX handle bars too, the frame is a 16-17 year old USA made RoadMaster Mountain bike Frame so it really takes a Lick-in and keeps on Tick-in

wasabi805

Jun 2, 2010
Santa Barbara, CA
I also have the 12volt 50w Halogen fog light set up mentioned above on one of my bikes, I ride it 16miles to work in the dark and it will put a very bright beam on the road out to about 40-50 yards, all you will need is too have a small 2 amp battery charger at home so after each time out you can hook it to the battery and recharge it, my battery is not a big 12volt battery, it is the type that is used to operate a 12volt deer feeder, it is a 7mah battery and will run my 50w Halogen light for somewhere in the 90-120 minute range before needing to be recharged, this serves my purpose just fine but a better battery would even last longer I'm sure, this is the best way I have found to have a very bright light without breaking the bank for $300-$400.

I paid $15.99 for my battery and $18.96 for my lights at wal-mart, $3.00 for a toggle switch and maybe $5-$7 for all the rest of the wire and basic hardware to hook it up.

Hopr this helps, Good Luck.!
Sounds pretty legit. What was the brand of fog light you picked up?

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
i think walrmart carries one brand yes i really like this lighting system people can see you from far away i had people said that i like look like an angel because of the glow the light puts out specially on the dark