Mounting a 4 stroke?

GoldenMotor.com

zazbeam

Apr 15, 2010
Livermore, CA
I am wondering how level it needs to be? I have seen pics of 4 stroke bikes with the bike slightly angled to make the chain more taut...in other words, it was not using a tensioner. Any input?

Z

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
I have used mowers and tractors at weird angles with no problems. As long as the oil slinger (a tab on the connecting rod for horiz. engines) is able to fling oil around it is good.
But why not have it level?
The carb needs to be somewhat level or it will be lean or rich.
I don't understand how the chain affects the engine angle.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
It's not best practice! If your mount is slotted so the motor can slide for and aft that would work yet wouldn't require an unlevel motor. Another way to avoid use of a tensioner is to match chain lengths on both sides, if you have "horizontal" drop outs, w/ the use of half links. If you have "vertical" (multispeed non MallWart) dropouts your gonna need a chain tensioner.

Cheers! Evan

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
I have a harbor freight 80cc and if I lean the bike to one side the engine will cut off. I think it might just be a saftey feature of the engine. I'm still investigating.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
That could be the low oil shut off switch on the greyhound. You can bypass that switch pretty easily, if you wanted to.

[email protected]

Sep 25, 2009
San Diego
I’ve built a few of these now for myself and friends... I do the engine tilt, because i really don’t care for chain tensioners if I may avoid them.... I’ve had no problems.... but then again my engine tilts are slight

[email protected]

Sep 25, 2009
San Diego
I loosen all of the engine mount bolts, to let it adjust wider/ more narrow, and up and down... then i lift the entire engine and engine mount assembly until the chain is tight... then i have someone snug the bolts real quick... i have them check the level from side to side too so i can avoid doing it twice...... this obviously only works when i have a good frame to work with (i.e. GT1)... hope this helps