Had my Spooky Tooth kit a year! Please help!

GoldenMotor.com

MoonBugz

May 7, 2010
Montana
So I bought my Spooky Tooth 66 CC kit about a year ago, and I've been working on it intermittently. I've had a lot of problems, but I've been able to fix all of them myself. But every problem is a more frustrating than the last. I think my motor is too big for my frame, but what can I do about that?
I put the whole thing together, then the carb on last, just like my instructions told me, and the darn carb wouldn't slide right in. I had to un-mount my motor, twist it, slide the carb onto the intake, and then twist it back to position and tighten my bolts up again. But when my bolts were secure, the carb's air filter got pinched between the frame and motor. There's a 3 cm gap between where the air filter seals with the carbeurator[sp?] and fuel leaks out of that gap. Needless to say, the bike won't start.

I have less than 2.5 inches between my intake and my frame. My intake tube is about .75 inches. My carb's air filter is about 3 inches from top to bottom.
What I'm asking; does anybody know about a carb built specifically for a tight fit between frame and intake? I looked at thatsdax and there was a carb on there that said it was narrow, but no dimensions were given. I've ordered so many parts for things that didn't fit, I want to be sure this time. Please help me.
:-||

MoonBugz

May 7, 2010
Montana
I tweaked the metal disc that holds the air filter pretty bad. I'm afraid I'll have to get a new carb anyway. It couldn't hurt to do everything I can to save it though. It looks like that other guy used marine fuel line. And what's that thing between his tank and his carb?

Anyway, thanks a million for the tip! At the Spooky Tooth site the only response I got was an employee who said "You need this part." with a link attached. And the link went to a page on the website with an error message. It's like they're the amateurs.

MoonBugz

May 7, 2010
Montana
Hope I don't need one of those. Not a single auto parts store or marine parts store had anything that was the right size for me. So I got a copper pipe and some gasket sealant. Do you think this will work?

Obviously I need to bend the tube, cut it to size and bevel it out. Does copper do well with gasoline and oil?

Last edited:

MoonBugz

May 7, 2010
Montana
Copper tubing got very difficult to bend, flair. Switched to vinyl tubing(probably won't hold forever, but **** IT!) And I got the carb hooked up, sealed, and connected to the intake. Roared up to like 15 MPH. Jammed the clutch in, and of course, the master link wasn't tight enough on the chain(or maybe the chain itself was too loose). I bend a link and lose my two small master link parts, salvage the big one. Now I'm basically ****ed. Going to take the thing to a mechanic tomorrow. If he doesn't get it running right in front of me, I'm not leaving it with him, and I'm bringing it to another one until I'm either burnt on the whole town or I get the thing started. Very frustrating day!