Concept Cafe Racer - Feedback Appreciated

GoldenMotor.com

conabree

Feb 21, 2010
Montreal
SO,

I've already got a project in the pipeline (full build guide, details and pics as soon as it's finished)...

BUTTT, I was letting my mind wander...and I want to give everyone a sneak peek at what I'm planning for this summer.

I don't see too many of this style being made right now on this site, but I certainly like the style. Here's a photoshopped image of what I'm planning. The rolling chassis will be a Micargi GT bike, because it already has everything I'm looking for.

I'd love to have some feedback.

Attachments

Journeyman

Feb 22, 2010
Long Island
I love cafe racers, used to have one. The one thing I would say is start with
a straight top bar bike, it will make everything flow nice

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Looks like a cool idea, Conabree. I know a guy that makes real nice clip-on handlebars for those forks you have in your concept picture. Tandock is running a set on his bike. Check them out!

conabree

Feb 21, 2010
Montreal
I think you might be right about a straight top bike. Thanks J. By the way, the black boardtracker you were building, was that you? Where did you get that gas tank?

conabree

Feb 21, 2010
Montreal
Pat,

I was actually thinking of creating an early-style cafe racer.. and I'm thinking of incorporating the old-style monarch double spring fork actually. and then buying a nice set of clubman handlebars. what do you think?

Journeyman

Feb 22, 2010
Long Island
My friend is a metal worker and he bent them up, then I did some bondo work and pinstriped them. They are just dummy covers for the stock kit tank that's inside. The bottom is open so you can hide your coil and wires up there for a nice clean look.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
I think it sounds like a great idea. You can score the seat off of a pocket bike for that cafe look. You'll want a nice low tank design so you have room once your all tucked in and rippin' around cafe style. Check out the Tandock Panther for some ideas. He has a really cool build going on right now.
Pat

conabree

Feb 21, 2010
Montreal
Journeyman,

I did a little fix up on the cafe..(I realllly don't feel like working today.....I feel like crap lol)..

I really want to incorporate those monarch forks. because, now that I think of it, those double crowns that come with the micargi aren't actually suspension (boo)... I shortened up the seat pan and added the straight bike frame. Looks better eh?

Attachments

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
Please forgive me, I don't intend to sound like I am bashing. I actually like the concept. The area under the rear of the seat in relation to the rear wheel and fender troubles me. If you could somehow create some unity or relationship between the seat and a rear fender I think that area would tie in and flow. Maybe a number plate with a higher (white) fender. Take it for what it's worth (free). Good luck with this, it looks like you have a really great concept! Again it's just feedback as you requested no disrespect intended.

conabree

Feb 21, 2010
Montreal
KIP,

damn it!!! i forgot to put the extra number plate under the seat!!!! You'll just have to see it done in real life.....

longhair

Mar 24, 2009
eagle rock
SO,

I've already got a project in the pipeline (full build guide, details and pics as soon as it's finished)...

Awesome look! Just get a fairing on the deal and You'll be complete! Good Luck on the build. I happen to go for the cafe look on my stretch cruiser {posted on stretch photos}. Fairing will definately make a difference for optimum speed.xct2

conabree

Feb 21, 2010
Montreal
Im not too sure i want to put a fairing on it, just because it's a style that has to be done very well to look good.. and i like just a big ol' headlight in front.

Longhair, I saw your cruiser, it looks awesome-sweet. Yet, i'm going more for a stripped-down look.

Journeyman

Feb 22, 2010
Long Island
I think if you stretched the tank so it ended at the seat post down tube then drop the seat about 2 inches behind the down tube you would eliminate that gap you have under the seat.

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
A browse of this site might give some styling ideas.

:: Deus Ex Machina ::

I like the Manx, TT and Rocker among others.

This is a very trendy cafe/workshop in Sydney's downtown, full of inner-city, latte sipping trend setters, if you can put up with that then the bikes, artworks and mechandise are nice.

I have been there, it was once part owned by Reg Mombassa of Mambo fame. There is some nice art/decorations there.

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
I took a few liberties with your mock up. I will delete it upon your request.

Wow, just realized what a unique motor that is. Right hand drive eh? Funny. I didn't catch that while editing.

Attachments

Last edited:

conabree

Feb 21, 2010
Montreal
yeah, i like the rear fender idea.. it gives it a bit of 'bulk'... although, if i move the seat lower than the gas tank by 2'' (suggested by j) , then i'll by even MORE cramped while sitting on the damn thing...cuz it'll be too low to rest my feet on the pedals

Wildemere, that site is damn cool... I'm pretty much one of those latte sipping yuppies, so... (I live in Montreal, I'm guilty by association)

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
This is gonna be an awesome build you've got the look thats so retro kinda remind's me of the old 50cc Honda Moped Cafe racers and a few other makes!

I'm looking forward to seeing your completed Cafe Racer, this build is sure to inspire many other builders!

Here's a few pic's of Cafe Racer / Mopeds 50cc:

Peace Crazy horse.