RAW 80cc 2 stroke performance upgrades

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
This grungy old carb is off a 3hp Yamaha (mebbe Mercury? I don't remember) outboard engine, It's virtually identical to the stock carbs on these chinagirls. What I thought interesting is the linkage for the slide, the cable attaches to the small hole at the end of the arm.

The cap threads on to my carb body, the slide is the same, it's even jetted the same (I think, and those don't crossover - different threads) and as the cap rotates ofc - you can have the linkage in whatever direction you want.

I'm thinkin' this has potential for a dual carb setup... I only have it cause I live at a marina and I thought it was kinda neat and grabbed it.

I might be a bit of a pack rat when it comes to widgets :p

Last edited:

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
This grungy old carb is off a 3hp Yamaha (mebbe Mercury? I don't remember) outboard engine, It's virtually identical to the stock carbs on these chinagirls. What I thought interesting is the linkage for the slide, the cable attaches to the small hole at the end of the arm.

The cap threads on to my carb body, the slide is the same, it's even jetted the same (I think, and those don't crossover - different threads) and as the cap rotates ofc - you can have the linkage in whatever direction you want.

I'm thinkin' this has potential for a dual carb setup... I only have it cause I live at a marina and I thought it was kinda neat and grabbed it.

I might be a bit of a pack rat when it comes to widgets :p

Wow!....that's gotta work !....if you do tinker with it and it does work let us know !

Laters,
Salty.shft.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
lol I'M not partic interested in goin dual carb, at least not yet anyway - it was all I could manage to get the one carb to fit on my weird bike :p

but come to think on it...

gdamn yer evil temptations o.o

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
lol I'M not partic interested in goin dual carb, at least not yet anyway - it was all I could manage to get the one carb to fit on my weird bike :p

but come to think on it...

gdamn yer evil temptations o.o

Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of men.......LOL !

Laters,
Salty.shft.

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
well because the lever arm would be horizontal to the ground when both carbs are wide open, the distance the throttle cable is pulled would stay the same as if there was one carb. I plan on getting a mig welder for Christmas and I would like to try something like this when I do.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
well because the lever arm would be horizontal to the ground when both carbs are wide open, the distance the throttle cable is pulled would stay the same as if there was one carb. I plan on getting a mig welder for Christmas and I would like to try something like this when I do.
MIG 32 Foxbat welder !....HOO !....man I'd kill for one of those !. LOL....Hey when it happens let all of us know how it goes......these dual carb set-ups have me hankering.....LOL !

Laters,
Salty.shft.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
If anyone is interested in the part numbers for the linkage assembly/slide & cap found on these outboard engine carbs - gimmie a shout and I'll heckle my buddy for em.

I warn you though, marine parts are retarded expensive - so I'd suggest going on a scrounge mission and lookin' for dead 3hp outboards first ;)

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I warn you though, marine parts are retarded expensive - so I'd suggest going on a scrounge mission and lookin' for dead 3hp outboards first ;)
Definatly! Rebuilt the bottom end of an old 7.5 Merc years ago that I picked up for $50. All it needed was new bearings, seals and a water pump impeller. Merc parts came to over $400. Took the old parts to Detroit Ball Bearing (I miss that place :( ) and walked out with everything I needed less one small seal and of course the impeller for $15. Impeller and seal cost me another $30. Best part was selling the motor 8 years later for $600. :D

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Nice Kevlarr! Way to recycle lol I work at an "industrial" tool supply and in some ways it's great as we have all sortsa bits & bearings, the downside is we don't have any metric stuff o_O

jflyer - The SBP expansion chamber has gotten rave reviews despite it's... unorthodox mounting technique. I have one myself and it's great ;)

roblofifty

Sep 20, 2009
Ventura, California
To be honest...I'm not sure a bicycle can withstand going that fast......they're bicycles....not motorcycles.....not to mention....the brakes they have....even disc brakes....aint going to stop you in a panic.....and as far as MPG ?..100 MPG isn't good enough ?.....just my two cents...if you can find a bike that will withstand 50 MPH consistently let me know !
I agree that 20-30 MPH, is fine and fun. Aside from the mediocre component quality, the frame geometry used on most of these bikes is way to upright and steep for higher speeds. To be comfortable and safe at 40+MPH, the frame needs to have a longer wheelbase and more relaxed head and seat tube angles.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
I agree that 20-30 MPH, is fine and fun. Aside from the mediocre component quality, the frame geometry used on most of these bikes is way to upright and steep for higher speeds. To be comfortable and safe at 40+MPH, the frame needs to have a longer wheelbase and more relaxed head and seat tube angles.

I concur .....what exactly is it we're looking for here ?.....haulin' ass .....safety....MPG.....bailability ( being able to bail out )....suicide ?.....y'all feel free on the opinions.......

Thanks,
Salty.shft.

jflyer

Sep 17, 2009
Saint Petersburg, Florida
I need more preformance to push my 200# ass around with side bags full of groceries. I don't need to go 40 miles per hour +, but it is in my nature to have as much power as possible at a resonable price. My 300zx Turbo will easily do 160, but I hardly ever break the speed limit. .fly

Status
Not open for further replies.