what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Jax2A

Nov 5, 2010
The LC, Ohio
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Worked on the wooden buck for my tank, it's about 98% to the right shape now. Need to fill some some screw head holes and rough spots then do the final sanding/shaping and it will be ready to bang the sheet metal over.

Also worked on stripping and modifying the old rusty headlight. Waiting for my springer front end I ordered. Once I get that it will be time to mock the bike up.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana

Got my new Chrome Micarci/slanthead running today. Runs perfect . jetting is right. Thanks BGF.

Way more power from first bumpstart than my other build with straighthead.

I put about 5 hard break-in miles on it before sunset.

Got some issues with tank cap not venting.

Got more high rpm viberation than the other build with
Murray frame.

Check out how I secured the chain tensioner.

My offset seatpost turned out nice too.
Wayne Z

DSC_1390.JPG

DSC_1389.JPG

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

rode about 50 miles today, and finally got a haircut.

got home, re-painted the darts on my frame and fork, and i'm re-shaping a vintage Brooks B-72 leather seat i got off the 'bay for 5 bucks. it was flattened out when i got it, but i soaked it in water overnight, then tied it up into shape and i'll let it dry out for another day, then rub in some neatsfoot oil.

tried to find some fuel-proof Lustrekote clear coat, but it's illegal to sell in california thanks to our environmental laws. guess i gotta get it online.

now i'm gonna go get drunk with all the other holiday orphans...

merry christmas.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana

Try the clear engine enamel, from NAPA.You'll be suprised how good it works.
Make sure to test for compatibly, or let the paint that you're coating have about 30 days to cure first.
Wayne Z

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

tried to find some fuel-proof Lustrekote clear coat, but it's illegal to sell in california thanks to our environmental laws. guess i gotta get it on line
Fired up the old Morini build she's still holding up at about 33000 miles now. Can't wait to build the next one.

Bairdco I love it when products say...........

WARNING: This product contains chemicals, including lead, known to the State of California to cause cancer, and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling etc.

i don't live in Cali so i always feel safe lol. it won't bother me here.;) Unless I take it to cali and use itrotfl

Last edited:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

Still tearing down the wreck and separating out the salvage parts. I can walk around now without the cane, but it's slow going. And with all the ice and snow we have here, I take the cane with me anyway, just in case.

I'm very, very torn as to whether I want to use the old springer fork from the first bike, or the rather cool-looking antique fork with the truss rods. I sat out there studying both options for a while. I suppose I'll start with the truss-rod fork and, if I don't like the ride, I can fit up the springer fork later.

Let the weather get just a bit warmer, and I'll be back out there again soon, priming the frame for paint. When I'm done with all coats on all parts, then the real work begins. Woohoo! :)

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina

To day, My son rode the MB to the store for supplies. When He came back, he said "Dad, there is this green stuff all over the engine!!"
The carb was just spilling/flowing fuel......
So I drained the carb, tore it all the way down, cleaned from outside in, and reassembled. No more leaking. I am sure it was a stuck float.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio

I've always hated that 'click' sound when I release the clutch lever lock. It just sounds...cheap. I took a 3/32" I.D. rubber 'O' ring and slipped it over the end of the pin, just behind the little washer on the inside of the clutch lever.
Now when I release the lock it has a much better sound. More precision than 'click'
Tom
Hey Tom cool fix but I wanna see more of that Norty in the background.. Any links to more images of it anywhere?

BTW HAPPT X DAY ALL

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Great to hear your up and running Allen, get 'er done!

Yesterday, (lol, always a day late and $2,fity short) Bought some washers and replaced missing strap bolt. One was sitting on the work bench like I planed on needing it. Gotta love when that happens. Found a Heim joint that will work for an upcoming build. (gonna be cool. Or a total failure. is an optional thing, snork)

Checked the oil (earl) thinned down amazingly fast. OH! Engine has a lil over 20 hrs and is still breaking in. Picked up about 500 RPM. I have been meaning to keep trac of temps, barometric pres. and other factors. But was pretty much a normal day and am sure it was just the extended break-in of the HFs. Really smooth and a pleasure to ride.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX

I rode my motorbike to the convenience store to find some cranberry sauce. They didn't have any but I enjoyed taking a spin.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Got sent to pick up coffee and butter. Awesome early morning ride. Very little traffic and the few cars that were out were exceedingly polite. (until later on the highway in my car, snork) Got home as Carol's family arrived. Dressed in full winter gear and stinking of gas.

They are calling for snow so late afternoon after every one left, I went out to fire up the snow thrower. I got it second hand for Carol's birthday last yr. I wasn't always here in the mornings to shovel and I move out a lot. (She calls me her favorite flight risk) Any way, it never ran well. Guy I bought it from is a motor head and he said he had tuned it up. He lied. Last yr I did not know how to fix it. This yr, took about 15 mins to get it roaring and working like brand new. Learned from you guys. Just sayin' thanks.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. Our very best to you and yours

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska

i smoked a cigarette staring at my bike for a while then began to slowly caress and whisper to it everything is gonna be alright dont worry i wont forget about you i would never let my favorite bike down (but that is a lie i cant wait to finish my next bike) i then went inside and told my new bike i was lying and that she was my main girl

it gets pretty lonely here in alaska sometimes:oops:

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

i smoked a cigarette staring at it for a while then began to slowly caress and whisper to it everything is gonna be alright dont worry

I like my smokes too but I've never slowly caressed one or talked to it...Am I missing something?
Tom :)

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

Sometimes a smoke will last longer than a girl, bikes are forever... Unless they strand you, then they die a brutal death, if that happens, put on YouTube plz :D

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska

@tom
lol no man i was talking to my bike while smoking a cigarette

ill edit it

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

... I went out to fire up the snow thrower. I got it second hand for Carol's birthday last yr. I wasn't always here in the mornings to shovel and I move out a lot. (She calls me her favorite flight risk) Any way, it never ran well. Guy I bought it from is a motor head and he said he had tuned it up. He lied. ..
I noticed something similar in Cleveland, in so far as even licensed mechanics tend to do that - almost unknowingly. They spend so much time fixing other people's rides that they tend to woefully neglect their own hoopties. I bought my old Puch Magnum from a mechanic who'd bought it, for his son I think. He said it just needed gas & oil and then it should run. Apparently he also needed a sucker like me to buy it. So I learned all I could about the moped online. I had 'er roaring in no time (as much as an overly large moped CAN roar anyway. :) ).