half link question

GoldenMotor.com

Graham

Jan 19, 2009
boston, ma
Just went to the bearing store and picked up a few half links. I asked how to put them on and got a few strange looks and some vague answers. I noticed there is a hairpin looking thing holding one of the link pins in. How do i take this out without warping it out of shape?

Additionally im not sure i am fully understanding the concept of the 1/2 link. How is is supposed to shorten the chain if it is the same size as a master link?

Last edited:

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
To answer your question on the cotter pin it is designed to be straightened and bent multiple time, however there will be a point where it will fatigue and fail so I would only install and uninstall it about 5 times before I would replace the cotter pin.

As far as a half link goes, with a master link or just drifting the pin you have to shorten or lengthen a chain by 2 links at a time because a chain has an inner row of links and outer row of links. You cannot just take one link out or in the case of the pin method you will be trying to align two inner or outer link sections and that won't work. Same with a master where you need to align 2 inner link sections. Remove one and you will now be trying to align an inner and outer link which won't work with a master. The half link allows you to go from an inner link directly to an outer link. Once you start playing with it you will see.