Rugged off road mini bike build thread.

GoldenMotor.com

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
This will be an off road point a to point b camping bike. Not true once you get it done you will ride it more. I think the frame is a little high,how much clearence do you have? When you sit on it you should be able to have both feet on the ground or close. And a skid plate on the bottom so when you go over a log it will slid to the rear wheel and get traction..........Curt

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Welcome back, Jared.

Will you be using a non-conventional belt for your torque converter? Been searching for a longer one with no luck.

But again, good to see ya and welcome back.

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
lol yes progress has been made, and thanks Dan for the welcome back. I'm really excited about this build. I have just been so dang busy lately but anyways. Thanks to this forum I was able to meet Rick and he has been teaching me about building these things from scratch. The two side pieces for the frame are bent. They are bent from two 10' sticks of 14ga 1" square tubing. Rick taught me to bend them using a band saw to cut slits and now they are welded back together. Welds still need cleaned up. We made the frame taller than intended, but I'm going to leave it like that. Makes for a real comfortable height between the seat and where the foot pegs will be. Sacrificing some ground clearance for it, but it'll be just fine for me.

Oh and also Dan I will be using a symmetrical (not asymmetrical) comet series 20, I already have those pulleys. I don't know what you mean by a non-conventional belt. Here is a pic of the tubes, like I said the welds still need cleaned up, but I don't think I am going to grind them down, maybe just sand it. I kinda like the raw look of the welds being there, and I'm pretty sure Rick and I only plan on welding other parts to those parts of the frame so I should be able to get away with sanding just rough spots away.

Last edited:

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
I've got too many projects going on right now, but that's a good thing I think. Got other projects to keep my hands busy which gives me the patience to take my time and make this bike as best as I can.

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
Possibly, I know I want the the generator and and air compressor would be nice too. Would fit the survival theme as not only could you repair tires on the trail but also adjust air pressure whenever for different terrain.

Here is a vid, I took it the same day I took the last pic, just been so busy haven't posted it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI3x136SQWw

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Looks familiar!
I scored this free from a scooter shop I sometimes work for.
I'm thinking 212pred or maybe a big V-Twin Vanguard with one of the new manual clutches....