1951 Whizzer wheel build New D and S2 ?'s

GoldenMotor.com

younggun85

Jun 23, 2013
minnesota
I was in the process of reworking a set of wheels from a 1951 hornet to use on my 1957 Streamliner until I can afford some rechroming and realized the front hub was all chewed up and then it clicked this is the perfect rim for my whizzer project. So I stripped all the paint and so on and now two days later have a nice completely dent free rim in rust converter drying in the corner.

Anyhow on to my questions:
1. What is the largest gauge spoke that will fit in to a New Departure hub without modification?
2. What size will I have to drill the holes in my rim to fit the nipples for .105 spokes and what size if I use .120 spokes?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I was in the process of reworking a set of wheels from a 1951 hornet to use on my 1957 Streamliner until I can afford some rechroming and realized the front hub was all chewed up and then it clicked this is the perfect rim for my whizzer project. So I stripped all the paint and so on and now two days later have a nice completely dent free rim in rust converter drying in the corner.

Anyhow on to my questions:
1. What is the largest gauge spoke that will fit in to a New Departure hub without modification?
2. What size will I have to drill the holes in my rim to fit the nipples for .105 spokes and what size if I use .120 spokes?
Can't answer the first question, but am guessing that you will want bigger spokes.

When I did the same thing I just drilled a hole in scrap metal and test fit to determine what bit was the right size. Don't recall what size it was for either the spoke holes in the hub or the holes in the rim. And the next time around I had to do the same thing again. Ha! Is your New Departure hub a skp tooth? Is that why you might be reluctant to drill the spoke holes larger? If so I think I have one sitting on a shelf and would be happy to send it to you. I'm not doing anything with it, but didn't want to throw it away.
SB

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
new departure made hubs for 11g spokes. but it sounds like yours is for 14/15g if you're asking this question.

i've drilled the hubs before. i think it's a 9/64 drill bit for the spokes. i'd have to check. and you'll need more than one. more like 4-5. that hardened steel is a mother...

for the rim, like silverbear, i just guessed on the size from my pile of bits.