How important is the rear brake

GoldenMotor.com

theodog24

Sep 14, 2013
Canada
Been running without one for ages. Just stock front rim brake, swapped to operate with the right hand (my dominant hand) lever. Now that Ive motorized (48 or 49 or whatever CC) I want to upgrade the front to disc brakes for safety. Should I even bother getting a rear brake on there again - and if so, is it worth upgrading that to disc as well, or just run stock in the rear and disc in the front - first post BTW - and an instantly addictive hobby motorbicycling :)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Dog, welcome.

Absolutely, no bout a doubt it, you need rear brakes. Even a little bit of sand or wet and trying to stop quick at 30MPH/ 48.28 km/h will not end well most of the time.

Really, really important IMO.

Ride safe and great to meet ya.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I agree.
using ONLY a front brake is dangerous in a panic stop.
I've been riding most of my life and am very experienced, but I still want all the brakes I can get.
Even a stock caliper in back is better than nothing.

theodog24

Sep 14, 2013
Canada
Yeah, kinda what I figured I should do. Better safe than sorry. I've been keeping the speed way down in any kind of traffic situation and staying off the main roads so far. I think once I get my front brake upgraded to a disc I'll swap the stock setup from there to the back. That should give me some solid stopping power I'd think. And maybe I have more tuning to do but 30 MPH/48.xx KPH is faster than this thing will go on flat ground. Just under 40 KPH after holding WOT for a good while is where she maxes out.

Thanks for the advice folks.