need throttle cable ends (nipples)

GoldenMotor.com

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I am looking for solder-on throttle cable ends (nipples), the end that goes in the carb :)
azvinnie is making long choppers again and needs to make some custom cables, but we can't seem to find any or are just googling the wrong terms

yes, I know about Norms do-it-yourself thread, but am just looking for solder on ends, Thanks ;)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Bill,
I use brass tubing, available at any hobby shop, 1/16" I.D and cut to about 3/16" long. I solder this to the end of the cable. This will work unless you have stainless steel cable. Solder won't stick to stainless.

Tom

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i use a wire terminal end,cut off the ring or spade,cut off the plastic and gently crimp it on.red terminals for small buttons,blue for larger(double end of wire over before slippin it into crimp)gently crimp and solder.file or grind to fit.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
Tom (2door),
thanks, I will see what I can find as a source for tubing :)
do you use silver solder or reg tin/lead kind ?

tooljunkie,
nice tip !!! :)

this place rules !!!
anything you need to know, someone here has had the same situation before, and knows what to do (^)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Bill,
Regular old tin/lead has always worked for me. 50/50, 60/40 95/5, I've never had one come loose.
Norm always said to use silver solder which requires high temp to apply. My experience has been that the soft stuff works just fine. I use my trusty old Weller soldering gun. Cable and ferrel must be clean and a paste flux, like Nokorode is essential. I'd stay away from flux core solder.

Just for information, spiral wound cables that have been used in a fuel/oil environment can become impregnated with oil. That will make soldering nearly impossible unless you clean the solder area with a good solvent such as brake cleaner or anything that will emulsify the oil out of the cable before trying to solder.

As I mentioned previously, soft solder will not stick to stainless steel cable. Some higher end cables from the bike shops are stainless which complicates things.

Tom

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I've used just black electric tape with the cable extra all coiled up so until I find no changes to length necessary. Sort of strange some where I think there a photos of black tape covering those parts for a gag if that is the right word. That would be too much black tape over nipples! If 2 D has his two cents I can too?

The bike shops have crimp on type with the barrel end already closed over, like 75 cents a piece.

MT

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Im against too much electrical tape on nipples on general principle. Now. If it were Red Green; ya couldnt find the nipples fur the duct tape! laff

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
If you just need to make the ball end that goes inside the slide of the carb that's easy enough. Just take some thin wire (like solid telephone wire) and wrap it around the cable where you want your end, then solder it in place with regular electronic solder leaving a ball around the size of the OEM stop. You can size the ball either with heat or manual tools, cut, file, compress etc until it is just the size you need. I've done this twice and it was super easy and neither of them have failed....

BikeBerryKelci

Oct 25, 2012
brea
Bill,
Regular old tin/lead has always worked for me. 50/50, 60/40 95/5, I've never had one come loose.
Norm always said to use silver solder which requires high temp to apply. My experience has been that the soft stuff works just fine. I use my trusty old Weller soldering gun. Cable and ferrel must be clean and a paste flux, like Nokorode is essential. I'd stay away from flux core solder.

Just for information, spiral wound cables that have been used in a fuel/oil environment can become impregnated with oil. That will make soldering nearly impossible unless you clean the solder area with a good solvent such as brake cleaner or anything that will emulsify the oil out of the cable before trying to solder.

As I mentioned previously, soft solder will not stick to stainless steel cable. Some higher end cables from the bike shops are stainless which complicates things.

Tom

Great information to use!!! your very informative and I find your tips to be very helpful!cvlt1