Felt MP, Fatti-O, 4 stroke....in progress

GoldenMotor.com

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Very nice build... How are you going to run the drive chain?
This is my first build so I know not what I'm doing exactly. I just ordered a TAV2 Torq-a-verter and a sleeve for the crankshaft. Then I'm gonna connect that to the jackshaft, then that to the chainring, then I'm gonna say a little prayer that all the gear ratios will be just perfect. LOL .spr.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
That TAV-2 requires some hp to pull the bike, not sure that 49 will do it. You need to do some more research on a different drive system. Other than that you are on a good start.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
That TAV-2 requires some hp to pull the bike, not sure that 49 will do it. You need to do some more research on a different drive system. Other than that you are on a good start.
I got the 30 Series TAV2 (3 to 9 HP). The Grubee 4G is sold out everywhere I looked so I guess I'm gonna be seeing just how much pull the TAV2 is gonna need I guess. There isn't a whole lot of choices out there. The other options that are out there just don't look that appealing to me.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Just a little info to emphisize on what CCC is saying here, I also run a Comet Series 30 (a GTC actually, but the equivalent) on a 212cc 4-stroke build. While the 212cc has a bit too much power for this application, the jackshaft and CVT combined rob a considerable amount of HP from my engine.

I also own a couple HS 49cc 4-strokes. I can tell you now that set-up with a CVT and a jackshaft will be nearly unridable using a 49cc 4-stroke no matter what.

You have a great foundation with your choice of bike and engine. Please don't get discouraged if you go with this set-up.......I won't say I told you so. I'd like to be proved wrong but a little expirience here tells me I won't.

Have fun building and keep the progress coming!

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Just a little info to emphisize on what CCC is saying here, I also run a Comet Series 30 (a GTC actually, but the equivalent) on a 212cc 4-stroke build. While the 212cc has a bit too much power for this application, the jackshaft and CVT combined rob a considerable amount of HP from my engine.

I also own a couple HS 49cc 4-strokes. I can tell you now that set-up with a CVT and a jackshaft will be nearly unridable using a 49cc 4-stroke no matter what.

You have a great foundation with your choice of bike and engine. Please don't get discouraged if you go with this set-up.......I won't say I told you so. I'd like to be proved wrong but a little expirience here tells me I won't.

Could you elaborate some more on what "unridable" would mean for me exactly? Are we talking that I could pedal faster than my engine would carry me? That would suck. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

So I should have gotten the QMatic then? And if so where would I get one? The Grubee 4g is nowhere to be found.:-||

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Could you elaborate some more on what "unridable" would mean for me exactly? Are we talking that I could pedal faster than my engine would carry me? That would suck. LOL
Yes I can. Although you will be able to gear this set-up to many different ratios, the power robbed by that set-up will render your high revving engine nearly useless. And if ya think you can pedal the bike with that set-up......think again. You will have to run the lowest drivetrain gearing thinkable just to pedal it without having to stand up when you pedal. Ya might wanna trust me on this. CCC is telling you the same thing and he runs CVT's also, and without the jackshaft.

Just trying to help you....... not put you off building these bikes. Do as you please by all means.....I certainly do.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Yes I can. Although you will be able to gear this set-up to many different ratios, the power robbed by that set-up will render your high revving engine nearly useless. And if ya think you can pedal the bike with that set-up......think again. You will have to run the lowest drivetrain gearing thinkable just to pedal it without having to stand up when you pedal. Ya might wanna trust me on this. CCC is telling you the same thing and he runs CVT's also, and without the jackshaft.

Just trying to help you....... not put you off building these bikes. Do as you please by all means.....I certainly do.
Well the Grubee 4G is currently out of stock on this planet and for how long, who knows. So that leaves the EZ QMatic or?

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Well the Grubee 4G is currently out of stock on this planet and for how long, who knows. So that leaves the EZ QMatic or?
I run a Grubee 4G and an EZ Qmatic.........I prefer the Qmatic overall and it will convert to a different engine where as the 4G is pretty much GXH 50 and HS 49 specific (and unavailable).

You could also make your own jackshaft set-up or go with AGK's, but you have to think about gear ratios and know a bit more about what you're doing build wise. Just a little food for thought.

Take your time and do it right, however you choose.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I run a Grubee 4G and an EZ Qmatic.........I prefer the Qmatic overall and it will convert to a different engine where as the 4G is pretty much GXH 50 and HS 49 specific (and unavailable).

You could also make your own jackshaft set-up or go with AGK's, but you have to think about gear ratios and know a bit more about what you're doing build wise. Just a little food for thought.

What's wrong with my current jackshaft setup? It's a lot easier for me to figure things after it's installed and running, so I can see exactly what's going on. Gear ratios make my head hurt.

I still have my 200cc engine so I can always install the TAV2 to that instead.
The Q is just so expensive compared to the alternartives.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

Call me crazy, but the fact the Grubee 4G's can't be had anywhere leaves the EZM Q with a monopoly on the 49cc engine users. I think we should have more than 1 choice for a non-gearbox tranny. It's what I like to call, "a little ridiculous". LOL brnot

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Put a wanted ad in Swap and Shop forum for a 5/8" shaft Grubee 4G

Someone has one laying around unused that needs some $$

What's wrong with my current jackshaft setup? It's a lot easier for me to figure things after it's installed and running, so I can see exactly what's going on. Gear ratios make my head hurt.
The best gear ratio calculator.
http://jimsitton.net/ratiocalc/

Last edited:

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
AGK makes a nice clutch for a 5/8 shaft, you can adapt the jack shaft they have also. It just seems like you are throwing money away trying to get this going with out proper research.

If you can get that rear disk to work on the pedal side you would not need the shift kit. This would solve your problem. Purchase a hub adapter with a 58 tooth sprocket or 60 and run the agk jackshaft right to the rear sprocket.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
AGK makes a nice clutch for a 5/8 shaft, you can adapt the jack shaft they have also. It just seems like you are throwing money away trying to get this going with out proper research.

If you can get that rear disk to work on the pedal side you would not need the shift kit. This would solve your problem. Purchase a hub adapter with a 58 tooth sprocket or 60 and run the agk jackshaft right to the rear sprocket.
I'm exchanging the TAV2 for the Cheetah. I've abandoned the TAV2 idea for good. There is no clearance for disk caliper and freewheel on the same side with that Felt frame with the rear rack on it. I already tried that. There's only so much you can do with a stock frame. I'm sure you are well aware of that. When you "research" something that doesn't yet exist online, then there is but one option left. Do it yourself and see what happens. LOL

Last edited:

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
You are going to have some fun with that one...how are you going to line up the clutch with the shift kit sprocket? Also...The clutch has a #35 chain on it and the shift kit sprocket looks like #41. I have faith in you Mike...Well I am in CC if you need help...

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I don't know about your frame but it is possible to put
the disc brake and the drive sprocket on the left side.

Click pic to see large size.

Sure you can mount anything you want if the clearance is there. That's why this is gonna be my first and last "stock" bike frame build. It was good while it lasted. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
You are going to have some fun with that one...how are you going to line up the clutch with the shift kit sprocket? Also...The clutch has a #35 chain on it and the shift kit sprocket looks like #41. I have faith in you Mike...Well I am in CC if you need help...
I ordered a longer jackshaft and I may have to use other sprockets as well. That shaft is too short. Luckily these parts are dirt cheap or I'd be broke already. I'm about 2 miles from Culver. I'll ride your way when I get this all straightened out. The engine runs great even though it's not hooked to a tranny yet. The neighbors think I'm crazy.