Wanna go faster try this out!

GoldenMotor.com

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando
I took my exhaust off because the screen was clogged and i took out the inards of it and bolted back on and runs alot smoother and has more power! The pack them things tight for the EPA ratings. Its easy to do and your kit will run a little bit better. Now thats its not getting smothered. Just take it apart and take out the screen and put her back on! Good luck

See ya in the rear view

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Your actual power gain is going to be negligible. It might 'sound' like it has more power but the biggest gain is going to be in your head. We discourage riding with loud exhaust. It doesn't really help but it will have a negative impact on the hobby especially in urban areas where the sound will quickly become annoying to neighbors. It's a good way to bring unwanted attention to yourself from the law as well as those who have to listen to the noise. Do yourself and your neighbors a favor and muffle the engine.
Tom

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando
I like it cleaned out. The screen i so thick it clogs up after about 500miles and takes away engine power because it cant pump out the exhaust. Mines only a 26cc im not blasting around on 80cc or a 40cc or that probally would be a little loud and obnoxious. I live in the country also and i dont have neighbors. It didn't really make it that much louder anyways but it runs alot better now that its not getting clogged up.cvlt1

Although i did get stopped by a cop today.lol he said i needed a tag and registration. have you heard of putting a tag on a bike. i looked at em like e was nuts.

Ride Free Ride Fast Have a Blast!!

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
yep, this is exactly what i did with the stock mufflers on both of my bikes.
Taking the "screen" (or cat. converter so called thing) out will not make the exhaust louder. you have to modify the baffle plate to make it louder. removing the screen will do exactly what 2 stroker said.
That screen will clog up with oil and rob power from your engine once you hit about 500 miles.
removing that screen frees up the exhaust flow and you will actually get a performance gain from it. Not just in what you feel, but in actual mph (altho it may only be a TINY increase, you take what you can get with these things) and it's a free mod that's simple to do.

on one of my bikes, (49 c.c. 2 stroke) i have the stock muffler welded to the end of an expansion chamber. I did remove the "screen" and modify the baffle plate inside the muffler by drilling a couple of small holes it it to improve flow. when i say baffle plate, I'm talking about the round disk on the end of the baffle tube that slides up inside the muffler, not the muffler end cap.
But really, this set up isn't much louder than a weedeater.

On my other bike (66 c.c. 2 stroke) i did the same thing...removed the "screen" and drilled holes in the baffle plate in the muffler.
This muffler is hooked to a long straight pipe, and it really sounds good.
Not too loud, but it has a nice deep throaty sound.

get that screen thing or cat. converter thing (whatever they are calling it) out of the muffler, it just gets clogged, robs power and will not increase the exhaust noise.

i live in a really rural area where people ride golf carts and 4 wheelers on the roads, so no one pays attention to the little bit of noise that comes from my bikes.

Last edited:

Motorbikermark

Nov 16, 2011
Western N.C.
I have a Poo-Poo pipe and when it was delivered I noticed it was totally hollow no dampening what so ever. This turned my classic styled 1949 Western Flyer into a modern sounding screaming weed eater from ****! I removed the muffler (Which didn't muffle anything since it was hollow) and added "Chore Boy" scrubbing pads til I achieved the tone I desired. I also drilled a small hole where it would not be noticed in the pipe, somehow a little bit of an exhaust leak just seemed "RIGHT" for the application. Now it sounds better than ever without any noticeable power loss what so ever.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
The power increase for freeing up exhaust flow isn't that noticeable on a stock engine on flat ground but it makes a very noticeable difference on the hills and added a couple MPH more top speed to all my bikes after freeing up the exhaust, to much back pressure robs power on any engine.

Tom is right on the noise being a bit much in populated housing areas, but even when I ride my bikes into town no one seems to mind the noise around here in small town Texas, most of us kinda like everything loud and a bit obnoxious.... that even goes for our women..LOL!

main thing is just ride safe, have fun and make the bike your own and enjoy it, if the people next door complain be nice and tell them you will work on toning it down so not to offend them, being nice about things is the best way to go about this stuff in my opinion.

Peace, Map (^)

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando
I have a Poo-Poo pipe and when it was delivered I noticed it was totally hollow no dampening what so ever. This turned my classic styled 1949 Western Flyer into a modern sounding screaming weed eater from ****! I removed the muffler (Which didn't muffle anything since it was hollow) and added "Chore Boy" scrubbing pads til I achieved the tone I desired. I also drilled a small hole where it would not be noticed in the pipe, somehow a little bit of an exhaust leak just seemed "RIGHT" for the application. Now it sounds better than ever without any noticeable power loss what so ever.
Be careful using choreboy because its thinner than the screen that comes with it and will burn up and get sucked back into your engine and you will stratch your cylinder walls up!

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando
So where is this screen? Is it back by the end cap?
I can't get that off half the time, it fell off on it's own another half!
you take off your exhaust and you have to pull the screen out through the exhaust hole with needle nose pliers. When you do take off your exhaust it should have a metal cover covering the actual exhaust piece holding the screen they should just come apart.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Might be a good idea to specify what motor this is on. As far as I know the HT 2-strokes don't have the screen you're talking about.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I think more research on this proposal is needed. Most 2-strokes are engineered with a measured amount of necessary back pressure as part of the design. The engine may seem to be breathing better, and it will sound louder, but how can one be sure it is getting the correct air-fuel mix in the right place at the right time. Sure, you need some up top of the cylinder so you can combust it, but what about lubrication needs and heat dissipation concerns. To dramatically lessen the back pressure is bound to have some kind of long-term result (in addition to having one's neighbors speak unkindly about you behind your back).

Jonny42

Sep 5, 2019
yep, this is exactly what i did with the stock mufflers on both of my bikes.
Taking the "screen" (or cat. converter so called thing) out will not make the exhaust louder. you have to modify the baffle plate to make it louder. removing the screen will do exactly what 2 stroker said.
That screen will clog up with oil and rob power from your engine once you hit about 500 miles.
removing that screen frees up the exhaust flow and you will actually get a performance gain from it. Not just in what you feel, but in actual mph (altho it may only be a TINY increase, you take what you can get with these things) and it's a free mod that's simple to do.

on one of my bikes, (49 c.c. 2 stroke) i have the stock muffler welded to the end of an expansion chamber. I did remove the "screen" and modify the baffle plate inside the muffler by drilling a couple of small holes it it to improve flow. when i say baffle plate, I'm talking about the round disk on the end of the baffle tube that slides up inside the muffler, not the muffler end cap.
But really, this set up isn't much louder than a weedeater.

On my other bike (66 c.c. 2 stroke) i did the same thing...removed the "screen" and drilled holes in the baffle plate in the muffler.
This muffler is hooked to a long straight pipe, and it really sounds good.
Not too loud, but it has a nice deep throaty sound.

get that screen thing or cat. converter thing (whatever they are calling it) out of the muffler, it just gets clogged, robs power and will not increase the exhaust noise.

i live in a really rural area where people ride golf carts and 4 wheelers on the roads, so no one pays attention to the little bit of noise that comes from my bikes.
hi there
just wondering
what is the screen thing, and how do you take it out? i have the end cap of mine and am wonderng what to do
cheers