another 'it wont start anymore' thread

GoldenMotor.com

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Wait, no I didn't make an intake gasket, I made my own exhaust gasket. Also the bike works fine no problem starting. Rode around the block 4 times, works great.

The only thing is, now when I turn off the motor, the muffler crackles inside. Kinda like a car cooling down. So this is probably the same thing.

BTW, is it normal for bikes to buck just a little when riding them? Kinda like if your not being consistent with the throttle. Ive always had this problem, not sure if its normal or not. The clutch is adjusted correctly

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
The buck stops here and crackling Re: another 'it wont start anymore' thread

You found the broken off part and the thing runs, great!

===================

The bucking if it is not too bad, maybe other people with the same engine and carb can give an idea. I would not like that though.

The muffler crackling is sometimes more prominent after it gets really hot when after fuel that was trying to start the engine at first goes through unburned and coats the inside of the muffler. Then when it is running it usually gets as I have seen at worst case glowing red hot muffler. It goes back to normal when all that junk gets burned out. If you stop the engine before it gets back to whatever normal muffler temp for a long ride is and it is still trying to clear out the unburned stuff remaining in the muffler then it can be hotter than normal. The crackling may even be normal as always. On automobiles the mufflers I have heard then do this, but really did not even think much about it.

===============================

True story:

These two guys at a Smog Test Only Shop where I went to smog my old truck had told me that the rattling of the muffler they heard at idle was really bad on my truck.

You have real engine trouble they said. Knowing there trying to scam me, I say it is OK just the old muffler. They used to be one shop before law took effect to separate shops.

They are now supposed to be a Test Only Smog and a Repair Shop , but there still exists a door connecting the two. They smog guy calls this other guy from the repair shop to look at my truck and he walks through the door connecting the two shops. Shady!

They pass all tests he shouts to me over the noise of my muffler, but they say in dismay (really?) that it failed for timing. I found out later that timing is not part of CA Smog Test anyway.

I paid the minimum without a pass cert and went to another shop. The other shop did not find either that it failed smog or even that the timing was out of specification.

This second shop said when I asked why the first shop had the timing not steady moving all around , they said that they probably did not connect the shorting connectors when using the timing light on two spout connectors.

There are two on some vehicles and that is because if they have two distributors, with two spark plugs per cylinder as mine did. This was just a way to get cleaner air, rather than use an air pump (smog pump) and diverter valve to have the catalytic converter do its job better.

I can’t say it is simpler, but it is more like an airplane engine and looks like an 8 cylinder although it is just a 4. If they just put in two magnetos I could not even have to worry about a battery. Just like an airplane except for the compression ratio. Hey I'll shave the head and bring it up;)

So the story goes I get it passed and go back and get my money back from the earlier smog crooks.

The guy says to never come back here again. That I can say for sure, don’t know why he is telling me this.

What the heck, a little noise can start a whole racket:) Pun at first didn't notice, but now pun intended!

Measure Twice

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I don't see how the e-clip could get in the intake if it came off anyway. It's on top of the slide, and that's seperated from the carb throat. How's it suppused to get outta there?

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Hey guys, yeah I misjudged the place where the clip hooked on. I found it not in the motor, and after fixing the clip, everything runs really well. Thank's to everyone for all the very useful information