Will this setup work?

GoldenMotor.com

JordanN5253

Apr 29, 2011
Ireland
Hey guys, new to motorized bicycles and have never build one, or even seen one in person, but pretty much set on building one

So I've more or less figured out the parts I need, but just wondering if they should fit togeather without much modifying, if any.

The motor kit I was thinking about was the GRUBEE SkyHawk GT5 66cc/80cc (which including shipping is working out about €200);

GRUBEE SkyHawk GT5 66cc/80cc Slant Head Bike Motor Kit (Standard Finish)

And the bike I was thinking of is the Trax TXC.1 Mens Mountain Bike, from Halfords;

Halfords Ireland | Trax TXC.1 Mens Mountain Bike

So in total it should work out at about €330 I think, but should the engine fit straight to the frame or will I need to order the extra 'universal engine mount'?

Just trying to make sure everything looks okay to some people with expierence instead of going 'lone wolf' lol.

Thanks,
Jordan

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
I haven't done that exact bike, but it looks like a real tight fit, maybe with an offset intake. Using the large down-tube adapter is going to take up a bit of needed space. Suggest a commuter/cruiser style as a first build. Oh and welcome to the forum!

Mac

JordanN5253

Apr 29, 2011
Ireland
I haven't done that exact bike, but it looks like a real tight fit, maybe with an offset intake. Using the large down-tube adapter is going to take up a bit of needed space. Suggest a commuter/cruiser style as a first build. Oh and welcome to the forum!

Mac
Thanks for the reply! I see what you mean by tight fit, and an offset intake looks difficult. I'm kind of set on a mountain bike though, would a different one work better? Or is it mountain bikes in general?

Thanks again

Amon_100

Jul 2, 2012
Ireland
Hi jordan

I was planing on doing a project like the one you have out line using a mountain bike, then swap the motor over to a cruiser style bike when can source on at a good price. I was wondering what your experience was with mounting and running the motor.

All the best
Amon

JordanN5253

Apr 29, 2011
Ireland
Hey Amon

I actually never bought that bike, but through a lot of hunting I found a bike that was the right size that someone was willing to swap for a bike I owned. It's not fully done yet so I'm not sure how much help I can be, but right now all I have left to do is put the chain back together, drill the handle bars and get the clutch set up.

Anyway, here's a picture
http://share.xerodevelopment.com/upload/13409816384572012-06-29 11.00.09.jpg

Good luck with your project, I hope it comes together faster than mine is.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Oh! I forgot to mention, I broke the spark plug lead, so I'm trying to figure that out too.
It's an easy fix, the spark plug wire unscrews from the CDI
and can be replaced with a one piece molded unit from a car.

Some of the newer CDI's have the wire glued in so you have to
carefully dig the wire out from around the screw that holds it in
the CDI.