Drive chain aligment/first build

GoldenMotor.com

jimbob

Mar 3, 2009
Illinios
Regardless how all the different inst. you get with these kits, should a person mount the motor first?My thoughts are that with the set permenant position of the drive sprocket it would be easier to then do the rear sprocket as then you would see where you would need spacers etc.to get a decent alignment.
STILL WAITING for my kit, ordered Fri 4pm Zoom bicycles
Thanks

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
Regardless how all the different inst. you get with these kits, should a person mount the motor first?My thoughts are that with the set permenant position of the drive sprocket it would be easier to then do the rear sprocket as then you would see where you would need spacers etc.to get a decent alignment.
STILL WAITING for my kit, ordered Fri 4pm Zoom bicycles
Thanks
Yeah, I think that's the best way to begin. It's a good idea to try to keep
the sprockets aligned the best that you can.

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
thats the way I did it and it seemed to work well for me. I built my rear wheel then mounted a kings sprocket and then set my engine up to line up with the sprocket.

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
It really doesn't matter i wouldn't think. You'll learn that with these engines, there is alot of fine tuning. If your planning ahead post a picture of your bike of just tell us what bike your using and we can warn you of some problems. Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

jimbob

Mar 3, 2009
Illinios
Thanks guys, The donar bike is a new Huffy Cranbrook Cruiser. I don,t know how to post a picture. If you go to Gas Bike.com and look at their picture gallery you will see my exact biike down to the color.The white one,3 good pitures. I just figured it would be best to mount the motor first then align the sprocket on the wheel

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Jim,
Unless you resort to fabricating custom mounts for the engine it is not going to change positions relative to the bicycle frame. That means with the engine mounted as it was designed to be mounted it will dictate where the rear wheel sprocket needs to be to achieve the best sprocket / chain alignment. Most bike frames will give you close to optimum alignemt but some will make it necessary to move the rear sprocket in or out to get the chain aligned properly. If you utilize the stock engine mounts they will self center the engine in the frame and then it is up to you to do what is necessary to get the rear (wheel) sprocket in the correct position. A little lateral offset is allowable but you don't want much. 1/4 to 3/8" off from center is okay but don't exceed that and the closer you can get to exact is preferable. While you are getting the chain and sprockets aligned also keep in mind there is a chain tensioner involved. It needs to be in align with everything else. The better things line up the smoother they will perform for you and give you the less wear on your components. Good luck; ask questions if you're unsure. We're all here to help.
Where in Illinois are you?
Tom

Last edited:

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I have always mounted the engine first...it is not going to move sideways at all
then, I do the sprocket

8-9 builds, and all of them took 2 tries with the sprocket
some are dished in, some out...just the nature of the beast :):):)