new question for the mechanic

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Is there a way to adjust these new small engine carbs without that fancy tool. Not the ones with the tiny screw heads those I can do, its the ones with the round smooth heads under the plastic cover I'm talking about. The tool with shipping is almost twenty bucks.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I had to take the complete engine case off to get to the carb. I can't believe how this thing was made. I'm sure the homelite people know an easier way but I couldn't find it. I won't be putting it back on even though it means I lose the recoil starter.

The more I work with other engines the more I appreciate the humble WW engine.

The breather was almost completely stopped up. I am going to hook it all down with a new throttle cable tomorrow when I can get one. I am going to try the bike with just the cleaned up breather to see if that will take care of the problem. It ran like it was too rich so maybe a little more air will do the trick and i won't have to adjust the carb.

Man that was one nasty engine.

A thought on the value of the shroud. I am pretty sure that the only time you really need a shroud is when the bike is sitting at the stoplight in idle. If it is idled low enough it probably doesn't need it even then. right or wrong that is the assumption I'm working on. It could be the assumption that killed the poulan but for now I'm going to assume that it wasn't.

Mainly because putting that homelite back together will be one royal pain in the butt. Or maybe I will relent tomorrow who knows.

Last edited:

donuts31

Nov 9, 2008
Colorado
I've seen people file or hacksaw slots into the head of the adjustmnet screws. I just did it recently for a weedwacker that ran too rich at my altitude.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
What I use to do was pull out the plastic cover on the mixture screws and slide a piece (about and 1 1/2") of fuel line over the screws. Then you can adjust the carb without a screwdriver.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
a thought on the shroud/case...

have you ever had one of those high velocity fans or air filters? they work best with their casing because the shape of the case directs the air around to where it should go... the air filter either suck or pushes the air through...

the shape of the case allow the fly wheel to create a vacuum sucking the air through and around the engine, no case no vacuum effect, little to no cooling of the engine. that little fly wheel provides way more air flow around the engine than the movement of the bike ever could.

excess heat makes vibration
excess vibrations make a dead engine.

no case means soon you'll have a dead engine
just my 2 cents

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
fuel line sounds like a really good idea.

On the shroud we shall see I hope i can save the one on the ww when it comes. The Chainsaw is a lost cause.

When I got it apart I swear the engine is no bigger than a ww but it does have a much better mounting system. It is still small though. It might have been doing all it could do the other day. I had no idea how small this thing is. It does have two bearings though so that is good.