the shoot bikes don't they

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
yesterday I noticed a new vibration in the 42bike. I couldn't find it and of course once the drive went down I didn't notice it again. Out of hearing out of mind.

Today I got about twenty feet down the road and the bike began to run as if the spring had broken. It didn't of course it was far worse. The drive shaft on the 42bike broke. It broke where the drive wheel was attached.

I took the bike home and just sat looking at it. I have no bikes that run now lol.

I have a 33cc chainsaw that I'm not sure I can make work and a 31cc WW that isn't very dependable. I really haven't given either much time since the 42 was doing so well.. So today I began reworking those. Nothing good to report yet.

Off and on my mind turned to why the bike broke like that. I have never seen anything like a nice clean break at the end of the drive wheel. Then I remembered it was on a full suspension bike. Every bump banged the tire agains the wheel. I have felt the drive leave the wheel then return to it. I don't know why I didn't realize what it was doing to the drive.

I'm going to rescue what I can from the frame then trash it. It is a perfectly good bike but it is no good to me. Plus nobody would want it I have pretty much butchered it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
i was and the mount was attached backwards so I thought it would be okay. Ah well I'll strip and trash the bike cause it will just do it again to any other engine I buy. I am friction all the way. If I see a hard tail with a front suspension I might go that way.

Or Or I could go with a solid front fort and put the 31 cc WW on it there. I have been giving some thought to going back to the WW engines totally. They are so much easier to work with than chainsaws.

I am going to try to finish the install of the 33 chainsaw on the scout bike, then I might make some measurements.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I mean salvage it out- before you toss it... cut that off and make a mount out of it....

I saw a thing on here where someone had used one of those rear suspension pieces as a seat suspension- attached it to the seat and to the seat post somehow. worked well for them. looked pretty cool too.

I agree to the WW being easy. very easya nd simple to work with. Mounting them is a piece of cake and getting a drive on there is easy too..

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I mean salvage it out- before you toss it... cut that off and make a mount out of it....

I saw a thing on here where someone had used one of those rear suspension pieces as a seat suspension- attached it to the seat and to the seat post somehow. worked well for them. looked pretty cool too.

I agree to the WW being easy. very easya nd simple to work with. Mounting them is a piece of cake and getting a drive on there is easy too..
Yes and I never really did explore all the possibilities. I am going to take a look at the sites for models and see what simple modifications I can do to make them a little more beefie.

OPn the bike I'm going to see if I can mount the front fork from a regular old 26" and keep the rear suspension on it. Probably won't be any harder than the scout bike I built.

I should have known better than to do that darn photo for my wife sitting on that bike. It was the kiss of death for it.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2008
deacon if you want i can lend you my sks and a claymore bag full of 30 round clips. you might as well give that old bike a hellofa send off!!! vernon

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Did you ever watch monster garage... They put a hearse through a chrusher and put a tank of propane in it. Looked like a bomb went off in the crusher all that fire. I should do that.