Nobody seams to know what I'm talking about

GoldenMotor.com

LilCerberus

Oct 12, 2011
VA
In VA, a moped must be under 50cc &\or under 5hp, &\or have bicycle pedals. So what I'm looking for, is an 80cc 4stroke 4hp motor. What I can't figure out, is what to look for in hp to torque ratios,or how much torque I'm going to need if I want to be able to go up hills. I'd assume a heavier flywheel mounted on the magneto would help, but I don't know which that would effect.

I've found a 140cc Whizzer has 2hp, & is still good for hills at 35-45mph.
However, the other day, I was eyeing a 100cc 3.5hp engine at Harbor Freight.
Both are 4strokes.
What I'm not getting, is how the 100cc engine could be more powerful than the 140cc

Another thing that cofuses me, is how dozens of dealers of Whizzer knock-offs are all selling the exact same kit. They all must have a parts supplier, if only if I could figure out who...

LilCerberus

Oct 12, 2011
VA
I've heard Whizzers can be tricked out by punching a hole in the restricter, making them good for up to 65mph.

I had a Qinqi Happy 50 once, which I was "told" had 5hp, but it absolutely would not go up hills. I once looked into putting on a heavier flywheel, but the darned thing was welded on, maintenance proof.

What I'm looking to do, is build something super-cheap from scratch.
I'd like to start with a frame mounted motor, & maybe later on, add a front wheel mounted engine so I'd have a makeshift Rokon. :)

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Re:" Nobody seams to know what I'm talking about".

Exactly! You're all over the place!:-||

What is the ONE thing that you really want?

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
What do you need? What do you expect out of your motorized bike?

Do you really need to go uphill often, or is most of your driving on flat ground?

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Lil

Just finished the first post in DIY In-frame Motor Mount With Jack Shaft Option`s.

May need to go back and copy my tittle!! lol Have a great memory, but it is short. The HF 99cc should work good for you as a single speed if geared for your needs. Or you could spend $199. for the Bullit Line Cvt that will bolt on to the Hf 99cc and you have an auto tranny that will pull a plow and top out like a Cheeta. It would be an easier build with the cvt. AGK may also have a nice cvt, He has some builds on the forum here this summer and thinkin he won the AZ race of MAB`s.

I prefer dual suspension and that is what my DIY shifter is on, but am too big it looks funny= hence the stretch cruiser. My motor mount would adapt to most any frame that has room for the motor of choice.

Ron

Last edited:

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
The Predator 99cc OHV was the one I was looking at.
Predator 99 cc OHV Horizontal Shaft Gas Engine - Certified for All States Except California

My bicycle is a '94 Bridgestone CB1.

It's the conversion kits that get me, because they all look alike.
Does it matter how well you'll be able to pedal? That engine is so wide you will need extensions to clear it and even then it will become awkward to pedal. I ask because I am a fan of old Bridgestones, I have four, a MB1, 2 MB3s and a MB5 all from the 80's and the one's I've put a motor on I've kept original.

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA
In VA, a moped must be under 50cc &\or under 5hp, &\or have bicycle pedals.
I am not sure you are correct. The way I read the VA regulations, they say that the engine must be less than 50cc. Greater than 50cc and it is a motorcycle and must be titled and registred as a motorcycle. The stuff below was copied for the VA DOT regulations website:

Mopeds
Definition
Virginia Code section 46.2-100 defines a moped as a vehicle that:

•travels on three wheels or less,
•a seat that is no less than 24 inches in height, measured from the ground to the middle of the seat, and
•has a gasoline, electric, or hybrid motor that displaces less than 50 cubic centimeters.

Restrictions
Operation of mopeds on any Interstate Highway System is prohibited by Virginia Law. Operation of mopeds on highways and public vehicular areas by persons under age 16 is prohibited by Virginia law.

No moped shall be driven on any highway or public vehicular area faster than 35 miles per hour. Operating a moped faster than 35 miles per hour is deemed by Virginia law to be operating a motorcycle, which requires you to title and register the moped as a motorcycle and obtain a motorcycle license.

Moped riders must carry some form of identification that includes name, address, and date of birth.

Although you do not need a driver's license to operate a moped, you may not operate a moped if you have been declared a habitual offender or your license is suspended or revoked for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Last edited:

LilCerberus

Oct 12, 2011
VA
happyvalley
That is a very helpful observation.
I have been considering mods to the pedal & fron sprocket assembly, but haven't had a chace to look into that yet.
The gerth of the engine haden't occurred to me. I was considering the Predator 99 because it's the only thing in a 4stroke I've been able to find in my price range (at least locally).
(Tomos 2strokes are street legal in VA, but the noise has made them a greater cop magnet, lately.)
Incidently, part of the problem I had with that Qinqi, was keeping my legs pinched together on that tiny runningboard.

mesmith
I actually prefer a straight clutch after years on sprtbikes & cruisers. My Qinqi had a cent clutch, & I've got a cousin in the hills with several beutifully restored Honda CM91s. Centrifugal clutches have always made me nervous.

virginian
I've read the same thing, but most dealers, as well as my insurance agent, have told me that the speed limit for mopeds had been changed to 45mph.
I've been told tahat Whizzers, despite the 140cc engine, still qualify as mopeds, as they still have pedals, & are under 2hp with a top speed of 35-45mph. I'll ask around, but I understand the tighter restrictions are intended for those unpedaled scooters, like that Qinqi I used to have.
Either way, I'm not looking for a Virago 1000, just something that can "go". :)

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA
virginian
I've read the same thing, but most dealers, as well as my insurance agent, have told me that the speed limit for mopeds had been changed to 45mph.
I've been told tahat Whizzers, despite the 140cc engine, still qualify as mopeds, as they still have pedals, & are under 2hp with a top speed of 35-45mph.
Try Googling: Virginia Code section 46.2-100

If you do, you will see that the limit for a moped is still 50cc. There is no specified limit on HP. The speed limit is 35 mph - that does not refer to the speed they are capable of but the speed you ride them at. As long as you ride at less than 35 mph, you are a moped. Ride at over 35 mph and your moped transforms itself into a motorcycle and need to be registered and titled as a motorcycle.

LilCerberus

Oct 12, 2011
VA
Try Googling: Virginia Code section 46.2-100

If you do, you will see that the limit for a moped is still 50cc. There is no specified limit on HP. The speed limit is 35 mph - that does not refer to the speed they are capable of but the speed you ride them at. As long as you ride at less than 35 mph, you are a moped. Ride at over 35 mph and your moped transforms itself into a motorcycle and need to be registered and titled as a motorcycle.
True.
I seem to recall back in the '70s & early '80s, they were a bit more specific about horsepower, & 140cc Whizzers haven't had any cop trouble.
I'll double check with my insurance agent & some other legal sources before deciding on an engine.
I've also been trying to find out what constitutes as a "Modified Bicycle" in this state, with little success.

By the way, what type of engine are you using? Your avatar looks pretty cool! :)