Pull Starts SUCK!!!!!

GoldenMotor.com

madwheels37

Jul 27, 2010
Bradenton, FL
I can't believe this is $50 I have put into magnetos because of the pull start mechanism. I have replaced 3 times and now a 4th purchase will have to made. This is so annoying. And magnetos are Not the easiest thing to take out and replace. It has to be done, but damn it, I just want it to work...you know. Any help with what to do would be greatly appreciated. It's a simple install with the starter, but the magneto just keeps messing up. I originally thought it might be the cdi or coil, maybe even the spark plug, but got all new of that in (got extras), but nope the damn magneto it was all 3 times...only once the pull start was on it.
I have a lucky early bird 66cc motor from ebay, and the centrifugal clutch aftermarket put on it. It's on a Chopper Spoiler.
Thanks everyone.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
when you replace the mag you just can't bolt it on there. it has to be centered, theres enough slop for it not to be centered, best way is to rap a piece of post card around the magnet then bolt the outer part on, then pull out the paper.

madwheels37

Jul 27, 2010
Bradenton, FL
do you know if you can still put it back in there after it has stopped working? What if it gets hit, or do they also ever lose magnetism? What makes a magneto not work?

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
If you have a multimeter, you could take some resistance readings of the bad magnetos.
Then we can see if maybe it is salvageable.