How should i prevent my engine form seizing while im on vacation

GoldenMotor.com

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
im running a raw motors engine kit on my road bike and am going to be gone for 2 weeks, is there anything i should do before i leave it sitting? will it seize up on me if i dont start it for that long? what should i do:-||

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
but there is gas so should i just close the fuel line and run it till it dies out? or will i be fine leaving it

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
but there is gas so should i just close the fuel line and run it till it dies out? or will i be fine leaving it
Depends where you store it..in the house..yes drain the fuel out by removing the line at the carburetor (fire prevention). In a garage with no gas water heater, just turn the fuel off at the tank itself. You might want to run the fuel in the carburetor out, but I wouldn't worry about it. Unless there is a bunch of moisture in the air, these engines could last years (drain all fuel). For extended periods of storage, I'd be concerned with rust in the cylinder, but it would take quite a long time. In a case like that I'd remove the muffler and carburetor, and stuff a oily rag in each port. I got a Suzuki GT250 that had been in a aircraft hanger for the past 10 years, yes the cylinder had rust, now I need to pull the cylinders, hone them out and re ring them. I let my HT sit for much longer then two weeks, I haven't ridden it in over a month...too hot for me right now.

Last edited:

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
You have nothing to worry about. If you are worried - turn off the fuel and run it until all the fuel in the carb and line burns up. Then it'll be dry and ready for ya when ya get back.

Personally, I couldn't not ride for two weeks.

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
ino its gunna be tough not riding my pride and glory... but im going onv acation to montana for 2 weeks so ill have to suffer

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
leaving fuel in it actually helps with 2 strokes. the oil in the fuel keeps the tanks from rusting, and prevents varnishing from the dried gas. (to a point, i mean. if you leave it for 20 years it might not be so good...)

if you do nothing but make sure the fuel's turned off, it'll probably fire up first try when you come home.

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
alright thanks i just ran it dry, and cut the fuel. man im going to miss riding my baby. o well 2 weeks and ill be back on it living it up! (as long as the engine doesnt give me problems)