am i doing it right?

GoldenMotor.com

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
finally got around to getting bolts that were long enough since the worksman was to big for the kit supplied bolts.

can't get the sprocket to sit right although i'm not sure that's related. anyways i think i put the sprocket on upside down. anyone care to tell me if i'm right and i did indeed put it on upside down and need to undo it n flip it over?

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
anyone? i'm pretty sure i did it wrong but don't want to pull it apart and restart until it's confirmed i did indeed put it on backwards.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I always like to make sure the split in the inner rag joint does not line up with a spoke.

Second, is the center sprocket clearing the dust cover?

Third, sometimes you never know which way the sprocket may go. You might just have to try it and if the sprocket dont line up with the drive sprocket you may have to pull it off and flip it. The intent is for the shinny part of sprocket to go out....but that does not always work on every bike.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
with it being torqued down so much it is clearing where the dust cap will go, i have it off atm until i'm ready to fully reassemble that part. i tried to get the rag to but their was no way to put it anywhere not near a spoke, spokes are simply to big for that.

its a grubee skyhawk GT5 kit and then manual says place sprocket's bright chrome side inward next to spokes with dished side outward.

then underneath it says figure #2 - 9 slot - chain wheel sprocket mounted concave dish side inward

these 2 lines are what made me think i'm doing it wrong. i tried doing it how i had seen it done in videos of other bikes, thinking i had a good understanding of what i was doing.

unfortunately i their mite be 1 small difference between what i did and what i was supposed to do.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
yeah i flipped and spent hours getting the plates back on, then torquing it down and now i basically have barely enough clearance so im thinking about flipping it because the original way i had it seemed to offer a little more clearance on the frame, these things are a real nightmare.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
no these ones were from my 5.0mp kodak, the ipod+duct tape rig is for videos :)

i'll see if i need to flip it, its a real pain in the rear just to seat those metal rings.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
You may soon find out that the chain run close to the tire. This is one reason most folks set up the sprocket off set to go father out.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
does this affect the chain tensioner at all? because i'm so close to getting this thing running but every time i roll the wheel the top half of the chain starts sagging and hits the bottom side of the chain, i'm as small as my chain can possibly be with the chain idler, i simply can not get this final piece together and theres no way to remove slack from the chain.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
i have a bike shop 3 doors down from where i'm building, had him cut it down to what looked like the right size earlier. their is NO way to remove another link and still have it able to connect both ends.

and i can't get my sprocket anymore even, everyone of those nuts is as tight as it could get.

when i set the chain up n put in the master link the tension is great, once i move that wheel just a little bit though it just starts sagging and i can't find a way to fix it. iv'e tried moving the tensioner back and forth to different distances from the sprocket and still no luck.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
If I was at work I could come over and give You a hand, I work in Cambridge... If You are still having issues I go back to work tuesday am.
Cheers

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
i have the wheel pulled back as far as my bike tire will let me, and i'll keep working on it but if i can't get it together by tuesday that would be fantastic chainmaker.

on a side note where do you work in cambridge? :D

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
If your chain tightens and loosens dramaticly when the wheel is turned, your sprocket is too far off center.

Once the doughnuts are tightened to the spokes, it's nearly impossible to loosen the joint and move the sprocket to a slightly different positon, unless you reverse sides of the doughnts.
They tend to fall into the old spoke impressions and want to find the original poisiton.

Hey, chinese chain and sprockets have a large variance in accuracy.

You might be O K by just finding the tightest spot in the chain, and adjusting for just a little slack there.

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
One question, does the rear sprocket really have to be that dead tight?

Anyways, the chain will feel a bit loose even when you put in on. Attach the tensioner to tighten up the chain; it's what its for.