reduced tire size

GoldenMotor.com

oldsurfer

May 21, 2010
thousand oaks,,,ca
i am currently running 26/2.15 tires that came with the bike...no matter what i've done the chain cuts into the side walls..what is a size i can go to to eleviate this problem...???what size is the most trouble free without running into other problems?xct2

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
i am currently running 26/2.15 tires that came with the bike...no matter what i've done the chain cuts into the side walls..what is a size i can go to to eleviate this problem...???what size is the most trouble free without running into other problems?xct2
Hmmm....I'm running 26x2.3's and have no rub whatsoever. Is it with an HT 2-stroke engine? I've had very minor rub with some 2-stroke builds in the past....either flipped the dished sprocket over or added extra spacers to the rear sprocket rag joint. You can re-dish the rear wheel if worse comes to worse.

Running 1.9 or 1.5's would definitely help.

Last edited:

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
MM sprocket adapters are available at Pirate Cycles now. This would be the super easy way , you can simply add washers to make it perfect. Gotta spend 50+ bucks though. Worthy investment in my book if your going to be in MB for awhile.

Manic Mechanic (New Arrival)

You can always try and flip the sprocket too and see if it clears everything. It will clear the tire that way for sure but it might hit your brake arm/frame or put your chain out of alignment.

:)

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
MM sprocket adapters are available at Pirate Cycles now. This would be the super easy way , you can simply add washers to make it perfect. Gotta spend 50+ bucks though. Worthy investment in my book if your going to be in MB for awhile.

Manic Mechanic (New Arrival)

You can always try and flip the sprocket too and see if it clears everything. It will clear the tire that way for sure but it might hit your brake arm/frame or put your chain out of alignment.

:)

Read again.... Worksman adapters now in stock. Next week cylinder heads. Following those Occ adapters, Modus Adapters, Regular CB-110 adapters. Then Intakes. Once stocked up we will try our hardest to keep these items in stock. We realize a part that works that is not in stock don't work.

Doesn't sound like they are there yet.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
The worksman wheels use a CB-110/110E Hub.

The worksman sprocket adapter bolt circle is larger to allow clearance for the heavy gauge spokes. If your wheel does not have heavy gauge spokes, the larger bolt circle adapter that IS in-stock, will work fine.

The only reason I offer two different bolt circle adapters is cost. The larger adapters cost a few dollars more, (from a manufacturing standpoint), than the standard ones; for obvious reasons.

The worksman sprocket adapters that are currently in-stock will work with all of these hubs:

CB-110/110E
Hi-Stop
Micargi 36 spoke
Falcon CFE-10

And many others, as the Shimano CB-110 hub is often copied.

My sprocket adapter/sprocket combo does NOT cause a misalignment of the sprockets. In fact this could not be farther from the truth. The sprockets that I manufacture are correctly matched to the 415 chain. They are also properly beveled, which eliminates the risk of the chain trying to ride on top of the teeth, (a common problem with the kit supplied sprockets).

By using one of my sprocket adapters, the builder can position the chain away from the tire without any Ill effects.

You don't have to take my word for it...just ask any, one, of the hundreds of satisfied customers!

Jim

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The misalignment I was speaking of would be the misalignment caused by the sprocket being moved over enough for the chain to clear a wide tire.

Running with your chain misaligned to clear the tire is a bad thing no matter how you do it, whether its a couple of washers behind the sprocket or an expensive piece of machined aluminum.

As for "couldn't be farther from the truth"- "hundreds of satisfied customers? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
The misalignment I was speaking of would be the misalignment caused by the sprocket being moved over enough for the chain to clear a wide tire.

Running with your chain misaligned to clear the tire is a bad thing no matter how you do it, whether its a couple of washers behind the sprocket or an expensive piece of machined aluminum.

As for "couldn't be farther from the truth"- "hundreds of satisfied customers? :rolleyes:
One degree of chain angle equals nearly 1/2" of lateral movement in either direction. One degree off center line will not hurt anything. There are many times when the chain just does touch the rear tire. By sliding the sprocket adapter over, (just a little), the builder can achieve the needed chain to tire clearance precisely. It is not necessary to space the sprocket out with washers...the adapter slides along the hub.

Without getting into this ridiculous topic again; Pirate Cycles and Piston Bikes would not be retailing my products if they were of questionable quality or functionality. The constant cracks about my products, or the projects I'm working on, don't affect what I do at all! It's no more annoying than a metal chip in my shoe...so it may as well stop!

Jim

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
As does quips & posts that can be interpreted as made solely to self-promote...

I understand there's some animosity, but reading this thread in particular I see Joe attempting to warn of potential problems of availability and avoiding the perhaps unnecessary cost of a product as well as a free work-around for a problem that should be otherwise corrected.

I see you striving to move product, ignoring any potential alternative and the problems inherent with a misaligned chain in that interest - redirecting to previous conflict to try and discredit.

You're right - this ongoing conflict is ridiculous = warning 1 for excessive self-promotion and provoking staff.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Jim (and justin)

RE: Post #11

I have a falcon hub 1.539 - 1.548", measured with a micrometer in 2 places, while trying to keep micrometer straight.

My friends falcon hub measures 1.533 - 1.543", measured in 2 places.

a. Why the difference, and
b. will the worksman sprocket adapter work?
c. what is the measurement of the new worksman adapter?

Thank you. :)

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Jim (and justin)

RE: Post #11

I have a falcon hub 1.539 - 1.548", measured with a micrometer in 2 places, while trying to keep micrometer straight.

My friends falcon hub measures 1.533 - 1.543", measured in 2 places.

a. Why the difference, and
b. will the worksman sprocket adapter work?
c. what is the measurement of the new worksman adapter?

Thank you. :)
a. The outer shells for the coaster brake hubs are produced by a process called swaging. The wall thickness of the blank...the temper, (annealed state), of the blank...and the press set-up, (from one production run to another), can cause a variation in the diameter of the finished product.

As you have discovered, this is the reason why I ask that that an accurate measurement be provided when ordering. Two different hubs from the same manufacturer can be .005"-.010" different. The sprocket adapters are made to precisely fit the hub. On hubs that are out-of-round I make the adapter to the nominal size, (split the difference). This has an added benefit of eliminating brake pulse. If you ride the bike, and lightly apply the brakes you will feel the .010" out-of-round condition. The sprocket adapter makes the hub round again.

b. No...the previous release of Falcon hubs measured 1.528"-1.531". I was not aware that the Falcon hub dimensions had changed when I included them in the group. I will have to let Justin and Robert know that it is no longer assumed that a CB-110 adapter will fit a Falcon hub. This same thing happened with the Huffy Cranbrook bikes...for about a year they used a no name hub that measured 1.507"-1.510". Then they switched to a Hi-stop which has the same measurements as the CB-110. I replaced quite a few adapters, (free of charge...including back shipping), because my website had "Cranbrook" as a roll-out option.

c. 1.528"

From your measurements I'm going to say that the manufacturer of the Falcon hub; has changed the tooling. They may have had to replace the tooling after the last production run of hubs...who knows.

This is the very reason that it is impossible to inventory adapters for most hubs...custom orders, with wait times were just the necessary evil for this application.

The Shimano coaster brake hubs have been around forever...and knock on wood...so far they have been VERY consistent dimensionally. 1.526"-1.528"

I did, in the beginning, design an adjustable sprocket adapter. It would have cost $175.00 to produce, and I knew this market wouldn't bear that cost...so custom made one-off's, made to the size supplied by the customer was the only answer to keep costs in-line.

Jim

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Hi Jim,

Thank you for taking the time to answer with your detailed response.

What to do, what to do...

I will (one day) own and use your product(s). I guess its safe to assume that you have no product to offer to use for these 2 hubs that we currently have? Maybe a 1 off that no one picked up?

Thank you again. :)