Will this spark plug wire work?

GoldenMotor.com

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
I went to the auto parts store and bought a 8mm high-temp silicone spark plug wire(made in usa)....I also bought a new volt meter and the cdi ohms out to 55.7 and another one ohms out to 55.5 on FAIRRACING'S thread it says the CDI should ohm out to 130-150 k ohms on the 200k ohm setting....Is my CDI'S ok?
John-John

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
I went to the auto parts store and bought a 8mm high-temp silicone spark plug wire(made in usa)....I also bought a new volt meter and the cdi ohms out to 55.7 and another one ohms out to 55.5 on FAIRRACING'S thread it says the CDI should ohm out to 130-150 k ohms on the 200k ohm setting....Is my CDI'S ok?
John-John
whats the wire made of?

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
I'm using Accel 8mm solid core hi temp. I slightly tapered the tip of the wire to help it get started into the CDI. I also lubed it with some silicone grease to help it go in. Just push hard as you screw it in. Mine has about 1500 miles on it with no problems. Oh and I marked the wire about 1/4" from the tip first so I knew I had it screwed all the way in.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
I'm using Accel 8mm solid core hi temp. I slightly tapered the tip of the wire to help it get started into the CDI. I also lubed it with some silicone grease to help it go in. Just push hard as you screw it in. Mine has about 1500 miles on it with no problems. Oh and I marked the wire about 1/4" from the tip first so I knew I had it screwed all the way in.
When you say solid core hi temp,do you mean the solid core is copper or silicone?My wire has double spark plug caps on each end so I cant see what the core is....The auto parts guys said it is silicone core....Will this work????It is a ominispark,part#8BA32 spark plug lead....He said to just cut it in half and it would give me 2 spark plug wires....When I check contanuaty it has more resistance....Im not sure if it would work with a low spark 6v system....
John

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
Ok most cables are silicone outer. no cable is silicone core it doesnt conduct, You will either have a carbon trace which will not work, the other most common is a spiral wire this will work
Or just leave the std wire alone beacuse its better!!!!!!!!! or get new boots for the std wire

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Ok most cables are silicone outer. no cable is silicone core it doesnt conduct, You will either have a carbon trace which will not work, the other most common is a spiral wire this will work
Or just leave the std wire alone beacuse its better!!!!!!!!! or get new boots for the std wire
Thats answers alot of my questions with this wire....I was trying to figure out how a silicone core could conduct electricty(I was thinking some weard new technology mabe,but couldnt be)I guess the guy at the auto parts store had no idea what he was talking about....Were can I order a spark plug wire with a copper core and silicone sheathing?Thanks for the help....
John-John

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
This discussion pops up about once a week and I've written this same information time and again. Auto parts stores today, even the high performance parts suppliers sell almost exclusively 'resistance wire' . This wire is designed to cut down or eliminate interference with delicate electronic devices found in today's cars, even race cars. The conductor is non metallic, in most cases a carbon impregnated thread and there is a thick shielding insulation around it. The kit supplied spark plug wire, and some you'll find at motorcycle and lawn mower shops are copper or at least metallic core (conductor) If you measure the resistance with a good ohm meter you'll easily see the difference between resistance wire and metallic conductor. Any resistance will reduce the high voltage current produced by the CDI and transfered to the spark plug. Some will tell you that the high performance resistance wire is better than solid (metallic) conductor wire because it is used on race car engines and airplanes and so on and so on. The fact remains, the higher the resistance, the lower the voltage to the plug. We are not running high performance ignition systems which are capable of producing hundreds of thousands of volts in our motorized bicycles. We have a small magneto/capacitive discharge ignition system that is nothing like those in automotive use today. Find and use a good metallic conductor wire. The more current you can get to the plug the better. Just heard that AutoZone carries 7mm copper conductor, silicone insulation wire in bulk, sold by the foot. Some stores do not have it but can be ordered from their warehouse. Find a good counterman and ask for it.
Tom

Last edited:

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
This discussion pops up about once a week and I've written this same information time and again. Auto parts stores today, even the high performance parts suppliers sell almost exclusively 'resistance wire' . This wire is designed to cut down or eliminate interference with delicate electronic devices found in today's cars, even race cars. The conductor is non metallic, in most cases a carbon impregnated thread and there is a thick shielding insulation around it. The kit supplied spark plug wire, and some you'll find at motorcycle and lawn mower shops are copper or at least metallic core (conductor) If you measure the resistance with a good ohm meter you'll easily see the difference between resistance wire and metallic conductor. Any resistance will reduce the high voltage current produced by the CDI and transfered to the spark plug. Some will tell you that the high performance resistance wire is better than solid (metallic) conductor wire because it is used on race car engines and airplanes and so on and so on. The fact remains, the higher the resistance, the lower the voltage to the plug. We are not running high performance ignition systems which are capable of producing hundreds of thousands of volts in our motorized bicycles. We have a small magneto/capacitive discharge ignition system that is nothing like those in automotive use today. Find and use a good metallic conductor wire. The more current you can get to the plug the better. Just heard that AutoZone carries 7mm copper conductor, silicone insulation wire in bulk, sold by the foot. Some stores do not have it but can be ordered from their warehouse. Find a good counterman and ask for it.
Tom
see you next week!

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Usually the wire says on the outside if it's solid core. Solid core is copper stranded wire. I agree with Tom you need all the spark you can get. If you cut some insulation off the stock wire it has only 4 small conductors. I used the Accel wire for 2 reasons, I had one laying around, I thought the yellow wire looked cool. Also remember that a 2 stroke will always run better on a colder range plug. I use a NGK b7hs. Of course opinions may vary..

PS. If you really want to pony up you can order a NGK solid core racing single wire. They have a resistor netting molded into the plug boot and cost about $16, for one.

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
There are bits of truth and bits of fallacy in the above posts. I will again post my usual stuff.

First of all go to: Magnecor Race Wires

I know their site kinda sucks, and I know they (and we!) sell stuff. But read:

Frequently Asked Questions about Ignition Wires

and

The Truth About Ignition Wire Conductors

SBP Magnecore wire
Oh crap, i think the solid core is damaging my ht's fuel injection system?

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
LOL on the FI joke. Ok I did go to Magnacores site and did some reading. I'm thanking Pablo for aiding my education on plug wires. Very good info esp for automotive applications. I don't use a speedo on my bike. I probably should but I don't. After reading the Magnacore stuff I really think a good RF wire would work just as well as a solid core one. If there was a difference I'd imagine you'd have to dino a bike to really be able to tell. At least now I know that plug wires really can "wear out".

tudorvintiloiu

Apr 19, 2010
Romania
I'm gonna bumpe this post up a little with a quick question. I just bought a standard car plug wire, took off the ends and confirmed that it's indeed copper core. (a bunch of thin copper wires).

Now, I know that the stock wire has only 5 or 6 such thin wires in it. The one I just bought has like 20. Will this work? Does it have more resistance? Will it damage my CDI?

Thanks!

tudorvintiloiu

Apr 19, 2010
Romania
Ok here's an update: I put the new wire in and the CDI didn't fry. In fact the whole engine runs a heck of a lot better. So I thought I see what was wrong with the stock wire and split it to see its core.
Big surprise: there is no actual copper core... there are pieces of wire thrown in there that somehow, miraculously work, but i couldn't fine a single continuous wire in the whole core.
So please, everyone, make changing this wire a priority!

Tudor

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
Solid copper core usually means 1 thick wire, std ht wire are just as you said individual wires up to about 10 though they are ment to be joined from end to end.

good vibrations

Mar 30, 2010
denva, calarada
I made my own wire from four pieces of standard sized electrical wire. It's about the size of the wires that run from the mag to the cdi. I stripped them of their cassing and twisted them together to make one single wire. Then I wrapped that with a few layers of electrical tape to insulate, and cut the ends so that they were straight. Just make sure not to make the wire too thick to fit into the cdi and boot. Once I had the wire threaded on I wrapped the cdi and boot ends with tape as well to help keep the wire secure. Don't know what the output is on it, nor do I care. I'll just tell ya it gets a halluva lot spark.