Question for Vermont Riders

GoldenMotor.com

VermontCruizer

Jun 17, 2009
Vermont
So, I was riding my motorized bike the other day in town in Vermont, obeying all traffic laws when I was stopped by the local cops. I was told that my Motorized Bike needed to be registered, inspected and insured to be used on public roads. It looks like under a 2010 DMV rule that created a new class of vehicles called Motor Driven Cycles (and did away with the old moped definition) that the cop is right.

This is from the Vermont Motorcycle Manual:

“Motor-driven cycles (Includes vehicles previously defined as Mopeds): “Motor-driven cycle” means any vehicle equipped with two or three wheels, a power source providing up to a maximum of two brake horsepower and having a maximum piston or rotor displacement of 50 cubic centimeters if a combustion engine is used, which will propel the vehicle, unassisted, at a speed not to exceed 30 miles per hour on a level road surface, and which is equipped with a power drive system that functions directly or automatically only, not requiring clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged. As motor vehicles, motor-driven cycles shall be subject to the purchase and use tax imposed under chapter 219 of Title 32 rather than to a general sales tax. An electric personal assistive mobility device is not a motor-driven cycle.”

“Do I have a Motorcycle or a Motor-driven cycle?
The vehicle must have a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground.

If all three of the following statements are true, you have a “Motor-driven cycle”. If any of the following statements are NOT true, you have a “Motorcycle”.
1. The vehicle is designed to travel at 30 miles per hour or less on a
level road surface.
2. The vehicle has a combustible engine that is 50ccs or less.
3. The vehicle shifts automatically.”

So, my question is has anyone that rides in Vermont successfully registered and gotten inspected a motorized bicycle? Thanks.

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
Last edited:

Rider3497

Apr 5, 2020
VERMONT LAWs HAVE CHANGED (Posting this April 2020)

Hey everyone, I did a deep dive into Vermont Statutes and this is what I found. They are legal but the important thing to note is that you must stay under 20mph. I have outlined the important sections in RED.

VERMONT GENERAL ASSEMBLY

The Vermont Statutes Online

Title 23 : Motor Vehicles

Chapter 001 : General Provisions

(Cite as: 23 V.S.A. § 4)

(45)(A) "Motor-driven cycle" means any vehicle equipped with two or three wheels, a power source providing up to a maximum of two brake horsepower and having a maximum piston or rotor displacement of 50 cubic centimeters if a combustion engine is used, which will propel the vehicle, unassisted, at a speed not to exceed 30 miles per hour on a level road surface, and which is equipped with a power drive system that functions directly or automatically only, not requiring clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged. As motor vehicles, motor- driven cycles shall be subject to the purchase and use tax imposed under 32 V.S.A. chapter 219 rather than to a general sales tax. Neither an electric personal assistive mobility device nor a motor- assisted bicycle is a motor-driven cycle.

(B)(i) "Motor-assisted bicycle" means any bicycle or tricycle with fully operable pedals and equipped with a motor that:

(I) has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts or 1.3 horsepower; and

(II) in itself is capable of producing a top speed of no more than 20 miles per hour on a paved level surface when ridden by an operator who weighs 170 pounds.

(ii) Motor-assisted bicycles shall be regulated in accordance with section 1136 of this title.

Title 23 : Motor Vehicles

Chapter 013 : Operation Of Vehicles

Subchapter 012 : Operation Of Bicycles, Electric Personal Assistive Mobility Devices, And Play Vehicles

(Cite as: 23 V.S.A. § 1136)

§ 1136. Application of subchapter; rights and obligations of bicyclists under other laws

(a) The parent of any child and the guardian of any ward may not authorize or knowingly permit any such child or ward to violate any of the provisions of this subchapter.

(b) This subchapter applies whenever a bicycle is operated upon any highway or upon any path set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles, subject to the exceptions stated in this subchapter.

(c) Every person riding a bicycle is granted all of the rights and is subject to all of the duties applicable to operators of vehicles, except as to those provisions that:

(1) are inconsistent with provisions that specifically address the rights and duties of vulnerable users generally or bicyclists specifically; or

(2) by their very nature can have no application.

(d)(1) Except as provided in this subsection, motor-assisted bicycles shall be governed as bicycles under Vermont law, and operators of motor-assisted bicycles shall be subject to all of the rights and duties applicable to bicyclists under Vermont law. Motor-assisted bicycles and their operators shall be exempt from motor vehicle registration and inspection and operator's license requirements. A person shall not operate a motor-assisted bicycle on a sidewalk in Vermont.

(2) A person under 16 years of age shall not operate a motor-assisted bicycle on a highway in Vermont.