Honda GX35 Bogging during acceleration

GoldenMotor.com

csm

May 27, 2010
port orchard wa
I have a Honda Gx35 got it in a kit from GEBE , after first 2hrs of break in,it had started bogging at 3/4 rpm sent it back to GEBE to look at about ($100.00 shipping cost) they couldn't find anything wrong said I may had bad gas or put too much oil in it (that wasn't the case )got engine back it ran good for about 10 hrs before bogging started again for about 30 minutes, If I feathered the throttle I could get it to mostly not start bogging down . Then all sudden it would run good again. I changed the gas ,cleaned tank ,replaced fuel lines and filter. I still have the bogging problem off and on contacted GEBE asked what to do and any suggestions I have not received a reply it's been 6 plus weeks. My son purchased the GEBE kit at same time and he is having same bogging problems off and on . Did you get your GX35 bogging problem resolved yet ? Any suggestions . I am about to give up ,and find a authorized Honda repair shop to look at it. ANY SUGGESTIONS? :confused::confused::confused::confused::-||

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
you may be having issues with gearing, what size is your drive tyre, what are your sprocket sizes (or if this is a friction drive, what size is your roller)

you may need to gear down slightly to get the motor happy, remember that little baby is just that, little. there is only so much you can get out of two horsepower.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Sounds like a gas cap venting problem. Motor starts and runs good, goes down the road fine and then starts to stutter and run like crap.

Next time it bogs, unscrew the cap and screw it back on. If it runs good you have a cap vent problem.

csm

May 27, 2010
port orchard wa
Thanks for reply , for sure it's not the gearing, when it's not bogging down approx 3/4 throttle (maybe it's more like starving for gas) and it's not bogging it runs great wide open . This problem is not constant. I changed the spark plug, no effect, still intermittently it would start bogging down .
I tried to make it bog down, could not duplicate the problem. What ever it is it comes and goes intermittently. Any other suggestions? Could it be possible coil ?
Thanks for your suggestions .

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
This was posted in the 4 stroke section...................Curt

Well...........
Mine was a pain in the a..! I changed oil (to ensure proper amount), changed fuel filter (it looked SLIGHTLY dirty) swapped the fuel cap, and even put new gas in. Still bogged. I then tried removing the spark arrestor and air filter and it still bogged. I then completely took carb apart. Followed a YouTube video. It was really easy. Cleaned every part/passage with carb cleaner. I also noticed that (when doing the carb cleaning) that the fuel lines are really tucked and crimped to allow easy access to the priming bulb. I untethered them. Mine seems to be good now. I'm not sure if it's truly fixed, but seems ok so far. It's been about 100 miles without any issues. I didn't like the way the gas lines were smashed behind the holding clip. Just looked like a potential problem. Try the gas lines FIRST and let me /us know if that helps.
P.S. One small note. When following the YouTube video, the guy shows how he sprays the passages. Mine would not spray as shown in the video. I gently pried/probed the passage and a TINY, TINY black washer or some type of seal came out. I don't even know if I could ever reinstall it if I wanted to. The carb cleaner now "sprayed" freely without the washer in there. It would not spray with it installed initially though. Not sure why it wasn't even shown in the video, but it seemed like a potential problem to me.

csm

May 27, 2010
port orchard wa
Replaced the fuel lines , made them a straight as possible, no sharp bends. no effect , open gas cap no effect , haven't looked at carb, guessing it might be the carb, the engine is still under warranty (new engine ) and I don't want to spend the cost of a carb just to check it out. I give up and going to take it to a authorized Honda repair shop and have them look at it, be a couple weeks before they can get to it. Will post results when I get it back . Was wondering, this engine is a GX35 -S3 Thailand Mfg ser# 1280721 anyone else have problems with this model of the GX35-(S3)? Thanks for all the reply s .

Keep doing good things.

sadarahu

Sep 13, 2017
Similar issue :-(

I took a ride of 25 miles today and the same thing happened. Half way I run out of gas so had to stop and add some from the bottle to get to the gas station. Since then my motor started dying on full throtle. Not sure if this is related but I could barely make my way back gome. Riding back on about 30-40% throtle. I came home and did quick inspection. No issues found. Tried remove the gas cap, checked oil, filter all looks good. No problem starting. My bike has a roller so when I lift the roller up there is almost no resistance, yet when I go 100% with the throtle it dies. I think the motor is still on warranty (or close to 1 year) and not really much riding. I decided to pay more to have reliable motor but have to say : I'm very disappointed with Honda. The effect (while riding) is kinda like the motor looses power when accelerating (and it happens even with the roller up = no load).

Removing motor from the bicycle and sending to the authorized shop is a big undertaking as it has the clutch and the roller and the whole assembly attached to it. I hesitate to dissasemble the carburator to not to make it worse (in case I miss something and will not be able to put it back it). I'm not a mechanic although have some skills and tools.

Any ideas ?
ART

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
My thoughts are, when you run out of gas you may have sucked something into the carb from the tank. Do you have a gas filter on it? Try a little SeaFoam in the gas my clean it up.............Curt

sadarahu

Sep 13, 2017
Removed exhaust, carb, tank and cleaned everything. I did not disassemble carburator. I cleaned gas tank and filter. Tomorrow I will refill it with fresh gas and we will see.
TW. Any ideas where can I find a list of authorised Honda shops (lookin for one around Chicago) ?
I could not find anything on Honda website.

sadarahu

Sep 13, 2017
Still nothing. I cleaned the card (with the exception of jets. I did not have wire thin enough to get through. Put everything back and no improvement. I really hate to pay for warranty repairs. Yes. - this is a Thailand version of the motor. I was not aware they have issues. Anyway - does anybody know where the coil is located (I might eventually replace it).

sadarahu

Sep 13, 2017
OK, so I brought motor (along with the bike) to the authorized repair shop. They claim they cleaned carburator (including the jests) but still could not resolve the problem. Finally they replaced the carburator (original ordered from Honda). I had to pay $12 for shipping (what a shame).
Right before I delivered the bike for repair I changed oil. They could have run some tests etc but probably no more than 1-2 hrs all together. When I picked up the bike It run fine for about 30 min or so then started dying (even with no acceleration). I also noticed wired resistance when trying to pull that starter line. I checked for oil and discovered all oil was black. I was very surprised because I have already changed oil 4-5 times in the motor so there should not be much residue from breaking. I replaced oil again.
Today I made a trip of about 12 miles and at some point motor started slowing down and loosing power. I checked the oil and the same thing happened. Oil is grey.

I talked to repair shop today and they suggested there could be few things:
- this motor have temperature sensor which prevents engine from overheating. This Sensor might cause the motor not to get to the 100% speed/power to prevent overheating. In some cases this sensor melts when the not functioning properly and needs to be replaced.
- when the sensor is not working then motor can get to hot and that could cause the damage to the cylinder rings. This could be possibly an issue in my case.
- the repair guy also stated that it is most likely Honda will not cover this under warranty. He also stated that probably those motors are not strong enough for the bike and under normal load are overloaded. This is such a disappointment because I bought the whole kit believing it was tested and should work fine as designed.

When the motor is cold it seems to run fine so there seems to be no more gas flow issue but now looks like one problem was replaced with another.

I wonder if anybody else have had similar experience ?

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Just wanted to let you know that I also felt the color of engine oil change from the amber to black very quickly on 4 stroke briggs engines I have. Never has it had problem while running due to the oil. I could understand low oil level a problem. Is the engine with in 15 degrees of level when in use? Briggs states that for some motors like mine that is the max. I added an adjustment block that makes the fuel bowl level, but the engine tilts back about 15 degrees and runs fine. My guess about Honda and the warranty service is a bit different when Honda is servicing under warranty an item that is fully a Honda product, as opposed to another mfr that adds a Honda motor to there product. On a separate note after cleaning a carb for a honda engine and it still stumbled, I had a fuel valve on an out of warranty honda engine that was gumed up inside. I ran fuel through it with the output line into a container to not let possibly contaminated fuel go into the carb. I moved the valve knob a bunch and eventually it ran, but not too good. Then after about 15 minutes running it was fine again.

sadarahu

Sep 13, 2017
Oil ? Castrol

It seems that it has nothing to do with the fuel at the moment. When I just ride on a flat surface after 1 hour the motor starts dying and then when I try to start I can feel more resistance when I pull the line. The repair shop asked me to pay for repairs and stated it would take about 10 hrs of labor to fix this + cost of the parts. I could buy a new motor for less (I guess). The question is how many people using this setup and run (or do not run) into problems. The shop claimed this motor is not strong enough and is overloaded and that is why it is dying and/or got damaged.
I'm 150 LB so not really havey and the bike itself is ultralight.