Hello and what is upgraded Japanese bearings

GoldenMotor.com

Sonny B.

Oct 22, 2008
Meeker, Colorado
Hi ya'll,
First China engine/bike build. Great site and have already learned a lot about what I should do to make my investment worth while. I had buyers remorse after some not so favorable reviews on these little imported engines. I feel better now that I'm more informed, thanks to this site. Bought a 49cc, Limited Edition from Powerking. Looks like it has some upgrades and hopefully I did well. The quality Japanese bearings probably did it for me, but not exactly sure it those are sleeve bearings or needle bearings. Hopefully someone here can enlighten me.
I'm 60 yrs old today. Have ridden BMW motorcycles since '73. Have a '72 and'75, not running for several years since my back gave out. Many others before then.Semi-retired carpenter and archery bow tech.Like astronomy,guitars,old microscopes and now it seems I might have the motobike bug. Something I can afford on limited income.
Looking forward to some fun and tinkering. Looks like I've found the right place.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Welcome....you can ask that specific question about your engines bearing type to powerking. They would know for sure.
Some engines have bushings in the wristpin, some have needle bearings.
All of the bottom ends (as far as I know) are rollers.
There is a teardown thread with photos around hear somewhere (classic posts)...

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
Happy Birthday Sonny !

we have alot in common, been riding cycles all my life, won the Texas State Field archry champonionship back in 1985, played guitar all my life and never got good, not even close, just for my own fun. I will be 56 this spring, and never grew up. These bikes let you use all those skills you don't get to use in many other hobbies. I like the primitive turn of the century technology. Makes you relate to the first motor cycle builders, like Indians, BMW, and Harleys. Have fun with your build.

Sonny B.

Oct 22, 2008
Meeker, Colorado
Thanks for the welcome and info. Still finding my way around the site. I'm fairly computer challenged. Hope I'm getting it right. To Texasdav, I was born in Amarillo.

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
I am a hillbilly coalminers son from sago west virginia, but lived here in Texas sence 76, Love both states

Sonny B.

Oct 22, 2008
Meeker, Colorado
Hello and thanks. Didn't know if this was typical of these engines, but the cooling fins are warped in every which direction and seemed rather thin. The head does not seem to be seated on the cylinder as it has about a 1 or 2mm gap. Wanted to see if this was normal before I tore into it or if this might be a defective casting. Thanks again. Sonny

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Sonny, if I am understanding you correctly, that just don't sound right at all. Not disagreeing with you Joe at all. That just don't sound correct.

The cooling fins always look like heck and are thin, but aside from the very ends where the "chinalum" stayed with the sand where they were cast, they are st8 or concurrent.

A gap in the head, out of the box? Honestly, big time, not good!
Call your dealer right fast and politely ask about this.

Last edited:

Sonny B.

Oct 22, 2008
Meeker, Colorado
Thanks for the feedback. I really didn't see any warranty with the seller, but have left an email. Just doesn't look right to me and didn't want to investigate further as I might void something. Maybe a couple of photos would be more descriptive if I could figure out how to post them. This is to be a winter project, so have some time.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I think a couple of photos will set us straight.

I was thinking the wavy ends on the fins on most engines was what he was refering to. I guess the "gap" is subject to interpertation.:D

Sonny B.

Oct 22, 2008
Meeker, Colorado
Have managed to get a few pics into Picasa and seem be having some connection problem. I will get my better half to help me get them posted. She's literate. I know how to email photos directly from Picasa, but that is about the extent of my knowledge. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Click the orange "reply" gear then scroll down and click "manage attatchments" then click "browse" then it will go to "my pictures" and double click the one you want, click "upload" and wait a minute.....easy as pie, an I mean the eatin' part, not the makin' part.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Great pic Joe! got the brain going. would be very comfortable with a good seat. could make it so you had a sort of crash cage. Hehe, 3 point belt? Worm gear from steering wheel to front wheel.

Dang, I have to get a welder. (and learn how to weld)

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic. Sorry

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
The first photo of the gap at the cylinder head is a real buzz-kill, have you taken the gasket out and put the head back on to see which piece is warped-head or cylinder jug? I'd show the pics to the dealer you got it from. Happy Hills & Trails Walter F.