interesting idea

GoldenMotor.com

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
TWO WHEEL DRIVE BICYCLE CONVERSION KITS - Home

heres a product that turns the front wheel with a pinion gear and flexable shaft

now the 2wd bikes on the market use the same concept but the shaft is solid and in the frame

this design looks like it might not last long at motor bike speeds and mounting could be a pain

but its just something i had to share a two wheel drive motobike would be awesome even as an experiment

now a 2wd manufactered bike with internal shaft and motor kit with a jachshaft shift kit would be even awesomer but those are dreams

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
That's a great setup for riding in bad weather or on sand or gravel roads. There was once a company that sold mountain bikes with that 2wd setup installed.

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
This guy has been selling this setup for quite a while now, since maybe 1995. He is local to me (St Louis area) and the local newspaper did a story on him way back when. At one point for a brief time some local bike shops had MTBs in that came fitted with this setup, on custom frames & forks. They used a rear wheel on the front, and the drive cord connected to a gearwheel on the front [rear] wheel's freewheel mechanism. This way the front wheel could spin faster than the rear so it would turn properly, but the front wheel would never spin slower than the rear.

I didn't buy one but did get to test-ride one around in a muddy back parking lot. With a normal bike if you rode slowly into a big area of mud (trying to hold a constant speed) the back tire would begin to spin faster and faster and your forward momentum would slow down, until you stopped in place and had to get off and walk out. With the 2WD bike, you didn't slow down. You would slow down slightly and then the front wheel would start to spin and you just kept moving forward as long as you kept pedaling.

It definitely did work, as someone who rode it I can tell you that much. But you need to be in very slippery conditions to benefit from it. I'm not sure it would help much on clean pavement or even most casual riding at all, but it could be a big help for riding in mud, or snow and ice.

I have not seen the current offering--or any offering since then, really--so can't comment on it.

Back then the design had two major problems: first was that the drive cord spun all the time, and had quite a bit of drag from that. The second was that the bicycle was basically a wal-mart quality bike worth around $200, but they had to charge around $350 or so (there were maybe three different models at different price levels). Also I recall at that time MTB suspension was just becoming common on bikes at the same price levels, and these bikes that I saw were totally un-suspended. The bolt-on kit solves at least one of those problems.

There was also general durability and parts concerns (the drive gears are exposed on both ends) but if parts are available separately then that may not be a problem now--especially if you used it for a snow bike, since snow isn't going to grind away the plastic gears nearly as fast as mud/sand would.
~

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
i figured there would be lot of drag from that and if yah dont have the momention then you would eventually stop on muddy terrain but i beleive a motor could keep ti goin

still it would be cool

but if your gonna go all out then buy a mtn bike manufactered for 2wd they have front suspension and one i read claimed that the front wheel kicked in when the rear wheel was slippin or maybe there was a clutch i dont remember but that would be the way to go regular drive during dayif ya wanna go off road kick in the 2wd

i went in some muddy trails with a road bike with 700c tires and was actually supprised at what i could do definetly couldnt have kept my momentom up with even a mtn bike and that was with skinny tires with road tread i just can imagine a mtn bike 2wd with a kick ass motor and a shifter kit for low gear that would be awesome