first build

GoldenMotor.com

dash

May 30, 2010
phoenix
hey guys iv been looking around here for a while and decided to give it a go, I'm not basing my build on any specific boardtrack bike just going to try and build the style and make it look as vintage as possible. i must say there are some beautiful bikes here and i hope to come close. i started with a 24 inch beach cruiser that you can buy at wally world for 75 bucks chopped the fame up,made up some templates out of cardboard and had some one inch tube bent up. the guy only charged me 25 dollars for the 2 bends and the metal ,total score! l don't have a motor kit yet but i plan on a grubee. has any one thought of making the rear sprocket fit on a hub that has a disk brake? I'm not so sure of mounting the sprocket on to the spokes seems that would tweak your wheel, thats just my opinion and i have never road a motorized bike before i don't know how torky they are but drilling 6 holes and bolting the gear right to the hub seems better to me. let me know what you think any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Dash, you my friend are off to really cool start, definitely doe's have the Look of a vintage Pre - Post World War I style bike. Your welder must have seen or knows what vintage style bikes Look like cause it shows in your build.

I like how you started with cardboard thats the way Rick, aka cinelliphyle started his vintage style bikes he just did it a lil different he drew out the bends on his garage floor,
only he used the Worksman Industrial Newsboy - Model INB for his Tribute Board Track Racer's & Rick use's the Worksman Industrial Bike - Model M2600 for his 1912 Tribute Harley Road Cruiser style builds.

Excellent choice for the engine you can't go wrong with a grubee, as for the disc brake on the rear you can get the grubee Heavy Duty Rear Axle as a kit or, go with the complete wheel kit it is a drum brake / band brake. Their available from Spooky Tooth Cycles - Motorized Bicycles: Gas Powered and Electric Bikes or Bicycle Engines, Motorized Bicycles, Bicycle Motors, Motored Bikes: 2-Stroke & 4-Stroke Kits!

You may want to revisit your Welder friend after you have the engine, so he can weld in a rear 4" to 5" piece of steel tube for your rear engine mount, see attached photo of Tribute Indian with same piece of steel tube for rear engine mount.

I've also posted a picture of the Grubee Heavy Duty Axle or wheel kit, it is a much cleaner way to go for the sprocket mounting, and again it has the built in drum brake.

Here's Rick's Tribute Indian without the 2-stroke mounted, you can see the steel 4"-5" tube for mounting your engine sticking up:

Here's Rick's Worksman Industrial Bike -M2600, modified into a 1912 Tribute Harley Road Cruiser style before and after modification of adding Drop Loop DownTube!

It is truly amazing what we can do with an idea and lil ingenuity.

Peace Crazy Horse.

dash

May 30, 2010
phoenix
That rear hub is perfect thanks so much! As for the motor mount I plan on a fake crank case with a freewheel mounted to it and a chain going to a sprocket on the right side , I just need to get the motor kit first befor I start that ! Can any one tell me how tall the motor is from the bottom of the case to the top of the spark plug? I just wana see how much room I have to play with. Thanks for the feed back!

dash

May 30, 2010
phoenix
got my seat mounted and choped up a rear fender and welded it to the frame ,mocked up a tank,and made my fake sproket that will dirve a chain to a fake crank case. man the tank is going to be a tough one!

Attachments

dash

May 30, 2010
phoenix
I don't remember the name of the bike I took all the stickers of it the day I bought it a year ago , I do remember one of the stikers said kalua that's realy all I know I wish I had the cash to get a worksman but I'm a broke a$$ right now so I used what I had laying around as for the mods I cut the middle out of the bike and had the tube bent by a local shop then I welded it up , I got maby 7 hours in it so far with a million to go, its not perfect but its my first one. I plan on learning from my mistakes on this one and going for the gold on the next one. I have done maby 7 mods so far

dash

May 30, 2010
phoenix
finaly got the tank done! it took the whole weekend, i just need to put a sealer in it, can any one recomend a product and where to get it i dont have a clue what to use. i also made the front end look a little better. after i get my motor kit i plan on buying monarck forks, i realy like the look but for now this will have to do. it is hevy probebly at 50 pounds right now but i dont plan on pedeling a lot.

Attachments

dash

May 30, 2010
phoenix
do you guys know of a thread on here that someone made their own seat? im looking for some ideas on how to go about it, mine sucks!