Just got it running, a few thoughts

GoldenMotor.com

Dougan

Apr 5, 2010
wisconsin
Just got my bicycle running, and it is sweet. Definitely worth it.

That said, I had a few questions for those of you who have had yours for awhile.

First, the chain keeps falling off. I'm pretty sure that the tension is right, and I've tried it with various levels of tension and even at the "ideal" one it falls off a bit. The tensioner isn't at the proper angle (the V-shaped nature of my rear fork.. the tensioner is parallel with teh fork, and not perfectly parallel with the chain). I'm sure some of you have had that issue before... think that's my problem? How did you fix it?

Also, my sprocket isn't perfectly lined up with the drive gear on the motor. It seems pretty close, but this might be causing the problem. However, I can't think of any way to make it closer to the wheel, aside from removign the outer rubber thing that connects it to the spokes, and I dont' see that being good.

Any input is appreciated. I'm sure everything's fine, just tuning is needed.

Second, the killswitch sucks.

Third, the chain makes a lot of noise. At the motor. That normal?

Fourth, when I push in the clutch, it seems like it isn't 100% disengaged. That is, if I put in the clutch, lift up the bike, and spin the rear wheel, I can hear a faint brushing inside the clutch assembly. I did mess with the flower nut on the clutch and this makes me think I need to adjust the clutch. Would I unscrew it here? Or is this just normal? Seems like the clutch lever doesn't move very far.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The tensioner bracket needs a slight twist to get it to align with the chain path. Clamp it in a bench vise and use a large Crescent wrench or tool to bend (twist) it into alignment.. This is a common problem.
You should not have messed with the flower nut. There is seldom a reason to adjust it. Most clutch problems can be traced to improper cable tension adjustment. Set the cable tension so there is little to no slack in the cable at the engine end of the cable with the handlebar lever released. You'll need about one inch of travel of the clutch arm on the engine to completely disengage the clutch. No other adjustments should be needed.
Tom

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
If you type clutch adjust or chain tensioner in the google bar at the top there is lots of imfo

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Northam, Western Australia.
Take the side off your clutch, and add a thicker gasket in there. Some clutches rub against the cover.

Look on eBay for a "415 half link". This may or may not fix your chain problem.

What's wrong with the killswitch?