your first car

GoldenMotor.com

rbrtlndhl

Jan 27, 2010
La Crosse, WI
LOL RB!

(Now ya gotta tell that story too!)
OK... Here's the deal... "that story" is to be considered fictional for all legal and other purposes. This story contains drug use and extremely bad people who i fictionally might have been involved with at the time.

So...

I once inherited a 1979 Pontiac Trans Am (firebird orange) appropriately, there were flames on it. (i would add my own later) It was equipped with the standard 400 c.i. small block V8. It was also equipped with not-so standard blower, roll cage, carburetor, rear end, six-speed, micky thompson drag radials... you get the idea. Not a street car. But the lights worked, and the ground clearance was legal, and the paint looked kinda stock.... and the doors opened and closed... and there was a passenger seat, sort of... and I was 17...........................

I drove it around town a couple of times, got pulled over a couple of times for the exhaust, etc. Like I cared? I was 17! and chicks dug the racing harness. I dug the way it fit between their..... OK, where was I?

Oh yeah... My buddy "Frank," who sold me the fungus and snow (interpret how u wanna) came across a Lancer Evo, and swore up and down that i t was faster than my uncle's ride. So, befuddled by the fungus and snow, there was only one way to find out....

When a raccoon jumps into the dark street, headlights reflecting off of his eyes, at about 3 in the morning, and that fungus suddenly activates, you will do three things...

1. You will vomit on yourself.
2. You will say it, then you will do it.
3. You will recklessly try to swerve out of the way of the monster in front of you who is trying to eat you.

If you are driving a 1979 Trans Am at about 135mph when this happens, you will also do one other thing: You will learn about speed-relative steering. Quickly.

The car rolled over and over and over and over..... I was NOT wearing my seat belt and was ejected through the driver's side window somehow, and came to with "Frank" telling me that my car was engulfed in flames "about 6 miles back," we were going to the hospital, and we were walking the last half a block, because his fancy new Lancer Evo was, in fact, his father's neighbor's fancy new Lancer Evo, but it was ok, he was out of town and didn't know it was gone.

Frank is a bad person. Now he is in prison learning that for the next 17 years or so.

I was treated for broken bones all over the right side of my body, a severe concussion, road rash like you never want to know in your life or the next, and crab lice. (last one is unrelated to accident lol)

Ahhhh... the things we fictionally and hypothetically did when we were young, dumb, and full of all of those magical little chemicals......xx.

Homeless Bob

Feb 25, 2010
Louisiana
Wow... old car memories. Heh, heh, heh... boys and their toys, huh?

My first car was a 1955 Chevy Bel Aire 4-door. Bought it for $50 from behind an old gas station in 1974. It was a rat and had been painted sea foam green with a brush! The thing hadn't been used in years but we put a battery in it, a fresh tank of gas, and I drove it home!

After many long hours it had a rebuilt engine, body work, new paint, new upholstry... It was a fine ride in the days of "American Graffitti" and "Happy Days". I had LOTS of folks in High School that just wanted to go for a ride!

Ahh... too bad I let that little ride go. It was a sweet car and it would be worth a fortune now. :(

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
Got my first car, a '50 Chevy in 1958 when I got my driver's license. I paid $65 for it, eight years old with 20,000 miles on it and it was already a piece of junk. Second gear was out and the rods knocked. It turned out to be tuition to mechanic's school instead of a car, I kept that thing running for two years, replaced one axle, installed six new babbit bearing rods, rebuilt the transmission with junk yard parts because I couldn't afford a whole junked tranny. I drove the thing for another 20,000 miles and junked it. To this day I've never owned another Chevy car.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
I'v got a '51 Chevy.. 235/ powerglide auto, but it's still a babbit pounder and runs like a top and drives pretty good too.. under restoration but I havn't worked on it in a few months. but I just gotta put the interior togther, and a few new windows and go cruising... it has 63,000 original miles

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I'v got a '51 Chevy.. 235/ powerglide auto, but it's still a babbit pounder and runs like a top and drives pretty good too.. under restoration but I havn't worked on it in a few months. but I just gotta put the interior togther, and a few new windows and go cruising... it has 63,000 original miles
If memory serves the powerglide six used insert bearings and the standard used babbit bearings. You could take shims out of the babbit bearings when they would wear down and keep on going.

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
The main problem with the solid crankshaft and splash oil (ala Briggs & Stratton) on the pre 1953 Chevy sixes was with the Interstate highways. The freeways were a new thing and these engines didn't like running for long stretches at the higher speeds. I had the crank out of my '50 for grinding and replaced four conn rods. Luckily on that car you could pull five of the six pistons out from the bottom without bothering the head. I finished tech school running the car as a four cylinder with two opposing pistons, rods, and valve pushrods removed. It worked and got me to school and back for a year.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
The main problem with the solid crankshaft and splash oil (ala Briggs & Stratton) on the pre 1953 Chevy sixes was with the Interstate highways. The freeways were a new thing and these engines didn't like running for long stretches at the higher speeds. I had the crank out of my '50 for grinding and replaced four conn rods. Luckily on that car you could pull five of the six pistons out from the bottom without bothering the head. I finished tech school running the car as a four cylinder with two opposing pistons, rods, and valve pushrods removed. It worked and got me to school and back for a year.
They were not really splash. More like a semi splash. There was a tube that ran the length of the pan that was pressurized with a hole pointed at the dipper on the rod and every rev it shot a stream of oil into the dipper. There was also a little pan under the rod that caught the extra oil and the dipper scooped oil from it. I cut my teeth on these engines when I was a kid.

Homeless Bob

Feb 25, 2010
Louisiana
Ahhh ... for the "good old days" when a toolbox full of tools, a friend, and a six-pack could rebuild a car in a day, huh? LOL

Too bad the NASA-inspired "abortions" sold as cars today require a dealership shop to just diagnose what all the little idiot lights mean... :(

That's why I stick with my '97 Jeep Wrangler today... infinitely rebuildable and every single part is available aftermarket! In fact, before my love affair with Jeep, I swore by air-cooled VW's ... I only got rid of the last two "loaf" style busses when the parts just became prohibitively expensive to use them as daily drivers.

How many times have I been found in a parking lot under a VW bus replacing a starter, or adjusting lifters, etc... LOL!

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
My first real vehicle was a motorcycle... A 1975 Honda CB-400four super sport. I loved that bike!! No matter how hard I beat the **** out of it, it always started & ran great!

Last edited:

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
mine was an 83-84 heromni....yes heromni....the front was a plymoth horizon the rear body panals was a dodge omni....my uncle had these 2 parted out cars in back of his shop and i made a car....my second was an 79 ford grenada $50 car....dont spend too much kid cars are a bad investment ive still never spent more than $1500 on one and im still driving that subaru 4 years later....keep your eyes open for a grandma car....remember you almost get the same car for 4000 as you do for 1000....in fact the $1000 car leaves you money to fix it so its kinda better

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Oooh, I still remember hitting a country road curve at 60+ and the tires would just hug the crap out of the road. Nothing like having a classic as you first. I drove my 1964 Galaxie all over Memphis in Highschool, actually used it for carpooling. It fit almost a dozen teenagers or so. And the back seat... well good enough for an orgy!!! lol.

Attachments

yamahonkawazuki

Mar 17, 2010
Clinton Tn
She was hard on gas and used a little oil but was Union made on American soil. Came in 17 colors all red white and blue.
Ehhh unions. errm nvm. suibject of another thread one day perhaps. back on track, what was it?, my first car was an 87 chevette mylatest one, besides my 95 CVPI, is an 88 rx7 convertible. BUT due to medical susoppension of DL i no lnoger drive. i use my MOTO to get from point a to b, and perhaps to Cdrn2