Worth the trouble? Can it be done?

GoldenMotor.com

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Here is a picture of a cheap chopper bike I just picked up at a flea market for $80. Was wondering if it could be motorized ( I've only done cruiser and mountain bikes so far but no choppers) and if it would even be worth it. If not I'll just sell it for $100 and be done with it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
I've measured the motor on my other bike and I just do have clearance i'm just worried about the chain clearing the rear tire because its like three inches wide.

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Help me out guys, I really would like to build this bike but I have no experience with choppers, I'll turn around and sell it as soon as I build it, I would just like to have the experience of building it but I certainly can't do it without help from you all, that is if it can even be done.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
well. as far as the rear tire....

you may need to build an offset mounting plate alike the ones used for the OCC stingray builds.

that got any gears turning?

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Its a single speed with coaster brake and an additional hand brake on the rear. I keep staring at it and the more I look at it the more i'm discouraged. Its going to be a very tight fit for the motor to mount if it even mounts. I'm waiting on some motors to come so I'll mock it up as soon as they get here. I don't really have tools to bend flat bar other than a vise but I'm pretty handy, I used to be a master sheet metal mechanic by trade but i'm out of that business now and just don't have access to the shop tools that I need. Can't stop thinking about it, can't wait for the motors to get here, probably tomorrow.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I know that an in-frame is the way to go for a chopper but have you even considered a rack mount? You'd have plenty of room for a 4 stroke Titon, Subaru, Honda back there. But, if you're set on mounting the engine in-frame you're gonna need to do some cutting and welding. Anything is possible; ya jus' gotta have the will, the tools and the patients. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Tom

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I've built several bikes with a 3" rear tire. It's gonna be dificult to do it on your bike if you wanna keep the wide tire.

You will have to offset the rear sprocket & the engine about 1/2" to the left (which will put the engine too close to the left pedal), or build a jackshaft like Taco did on his build off stingray. & that is all only IF you can actually fit a engine in that frame???

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I have built several chopper bikes on a couple different style chopper frames, but have never seen one exactly like that. If there is room for the motor, you will have to offset it to the left to clear the rear tire, but that will cause you clearance problems with your left pedal. I notice you do have plenty of room behind the seat post tube for a jackshaft. That way you could center your motor, and get your offset with the jackshaft. Good luck, looks like a fun project.
What is that, a Jesse James West Coast Chopper?

John

Attachments

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
I'm very new at all of this and don't fully understand the "jackshaft" or how it works. What about an extra wide crank set to clear the motor? Do they even make crank sets that wide? I wish this bike was in better hands right about now. I have no doubt that a lot of you guys could do a real bang up job at this build and make it work. I only have 4 1/2 inches from the chain ring to the inside of the crank on the opposite side. No way thats going to be enough room to mount a motor even if it wasn't offest to one side.

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Well after staring at this bike for two days now and measuring it ten ways from sunday I'm pretty sure there won't be enough clearance for a motor without doing some major cutting and welding. Oh well, I'll sell it for what I bought it for, lesson learned.

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
I have built several chopper bikes on a couple different style chopper frames, but have never seen one exactly like that. If there is room for the motor, you will have to offset it to the left to clear the rear tire, but that will cause you clearance problems with your left pedal. I notice you do have plenty of room behind the seat post tube for a jackshaft. That way you could center your motor, and get your offset with the jackshaft. Good luck, looks like a fun project.
What is that, a Jesse James West Coast Chopper?

John
I think its just some knock off West Coast chopper. The bike was made by Dynacraft in 2004, it's in really good shape with hardly a scratch on it and very uncomfortable to ride for too long.