49cc and 30mph seems to be the law in Texas

GoldenMotor.com

Papabear86

Jul 2, 2008
For the umpteenth time, registering a vehicle in the State of Texas requires a VIN#. Creating a VIN# from a Serial# is a felony in this state.

The bikes cannont be registered, titled and are almost impossible to insure as a single entity. They are not regulated as a single entity.

Noise, sidewalks, etc are municipal issues in this state.

Stick with electric since that is what you know...save regulatory issues for those of us that know what were talking about.

What's the difference anyways? Moped or not? A small registration fee?
Need of a drivers license? Insurance?

Decide it's a moped, register it, go to insurance company insure it as a moped and drive around..
If you can't do any or all of those. Get an electric bike and be done with it.
Right?

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
So in other words a gas bike is illegal to use on the roads?

I would say, like I said before, go electric then and be done with it.

Electric is clean and legal and there's no reason to worry about gas, since there's the electric alternative.

Actually, why not just buy a moped, if someone doesn't like the electric idea?

Last edited:

jKellym

Jul 23, 2010
Houston
I live in Houston and drive my bike to and from work everyday right through the middle of downtown. I pass at least a half dozen cops each way. The only time I have been stopped was for the cop to either ask me to sell him the bike or ask me how I built it. I don't kill the engine or fake pedal ever either and cruise 25-30 MPH depending on traffic.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I live in Houston and drive my bike to and from work everyday right through the middle of downtown. I pass at least a half dozen cops each way. The only time I have been stopped was for the cop to either ask me to sell him the bike or ask me how I built it. I don't kill the engine or fake pedal ever either and cruise 25-30 MPH depending on traffic.
Pretty much the same experience I've had here in Dallas, but my riding time has only been for about 2 months so far. I haven't seen very many police but the ones I have seen ignored me.