carburetor is leaking from primer screw

GoldenMotor.com

will 3501

Jun 14, 2009
phoeinix
carburetor leaks gas from primer just started when I FILL TANK today filled tank all the way pumped primer 2 times before starting and choke up untill running then choke off rode 4 miles shut off cane out of store gas leaking didnt shut off valve on gas tank though

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I'm having that problem right now...if I don't shut off the valve perfectly, it will leak.

I just shut off the valve.

You can take the float bowl off and look for debris in the bowl and inlet jet.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Joe is probably right! If fuel is leaking out the tickler button then the fuel level it too high inside the carb. Most likely the float isn't closing off the fuel flow. How level is the carb sitting?

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
Mine was the same way, but not anymore.
I feel the primer is useless...I removed mine and sealed it with JBWeld. I've put 800 miles on it over a year period with absolutely no regrets.

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
lol, well if you say it THAT way, it is kinda freaky...but alas, I've had my tickler removed...whats more is, i did it MYSELF!!!

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Huh thats strange the manual that came with my said to "tickle" the tickler until gas comes out there to know it is primed. I thought it should leak a lil...lol Yeah it is not needed for me. My bike starts everytime pretty much on the first or second pop

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
but your engine wont run or start the first time all the time after you had the engine a while,sooner or later you will need the primer button.

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
If your carb is leaking at the tickler then the needle and seat aren't sealing like they should. You really should check it. Take the bowl off the carb and turn it upside down, the float should sit about level. If it sits down in the carb to much you need to adjust the tab on the float arm so it closes quicker. Then put a piece of fuel line on the carb, with it right side up. Blow thru the fuel line with your mouth and lift the float lever with your finger. It should stop you from blowing thru it. If it doesn't there's something stuck in there. It's really easy to take apart and clean. If you have to, the seat is removable. Where the gas line connects you'll see the top in slotted. It's so you can remove it with a screwdriver. If it leaks to much it can fill the crankcase with fuel.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
huh a year of use so far and hundreds of miles no issues yet. However I am using an expensive synth, and 91 oct gas. I have heard all about how the premium gas won't help but it does. I love how it runs and I continue to use it with nothing but a smile on my face. We will see though, if it starts acting crappy I'll just replace the motor and use it for other tinkering and experiments. I have a two stroke chainsaw motor that I run with rubbing alchohol and vegatable oil so I might try that in this motor when I replace it. Just not willing to risk it right now because it is my transport.

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
If the carb float leaks enough and you park the bike for overnight and forget to turn off the gas. It can overfill and leak into the intake. Draining into the engine till it fills the lower case. I'm just saying that it isn't very hard to make it right. I use high octane fuel and I think it makes a difference too. Just seems like it runs smoother.

will 3501

Jun 14, 2009
phoeinix
First of all I want to thank all you for your help on my first built moto bicycle, I bought my kit here at mustang sallys bike rental shop in Scottsdale, I researched them on line the grubee seemed the best anyways this place the guy said he takes all his engines apart and cleans the burrs and metal pieces up and sells them seemed legit enough plus i didnt have to wait orderin for it online. He said he has built over 70 bikes so far and offered to put mine together for $60bucks I wanted to do myself for fun I told him.They were real helpful and he said there open untill 2am renting bikes LoL(ok i said whatever)
Anyways here's what i did carb leaking yesterday took apart carb cleaned put back on level put ngk plug found brake lever that fit cable for throttle my throttle was broke the first day now perfect ran 91 octane gas rode today like the wind rode 34 mph seemed like it wanted to go faster no leaks from carb got 90 miles on it ran excellent today thanks again for all your guys help ill keep u posted and send a pic of my bike