my first motor bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
yes that would make a real nice motorized bicycle. suspension is the only way to go. when i built my cruiser i added a spring front end and it was like having a new bike

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
you might run into a situation with the rear shocks you might need to get 2 chain tensioners one for the top and the bottom also running a chain that can handle the play in the rear.

joewlms3

May 20, 2009
south carolina
anyways this is some of the stuff i have. im sure i will need lots of help from anybody who wants to holler back at me. #1 never forumed before #2 the tubing on the shelf behind the engine and stuff is to become the bike frame #3 why does the chinese kit smell like fireworks?

joewlms3

May 20, 2009
south carolina
sorry for the joke. i couldnt feel right about hacking into my rocky mountain. i way to rough on it without a motor have already broke a steertube on it and 2 chains on my 2nd front wheel now then i just had one of the bolts in the rear suspension back out and snap off last weekend. all that and ive only had it 2 months

joewlms3

May 20, 2009
south carolina
i do have real questions though. i need to order a rear hub so i can set up to get welding on the frame has anyone used an 8 speed internal geared hub with the jackshaft kit or know of any problems i may run into with a setup like that?

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Looks like you're off to a real good start, on both the motorized bike and "forum'ing".
So, you're going to build the frame for your motor?
I have no idea why they smell the way they do but when it's burning 2-stroke gas mix early in the morning, as you motor right on down the road... well, let me just say, there's nothing else like it in the world.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
hahaha
Welcome to Chinese build quality.
Seems like you know when something isn't quite right and you sound like you're doing something about it.
I certainly am looking forward to your upcoming posts and pictures.
There are a couple of people around here that I follow. I try and catch as many of their posts as I can. I believe I have someone else to keep track of now.

I really like watching and listening to these kinds of people as I can learn a LOT from doing this and I simply love learning something I didn't know or hadn't considered before. It's just plain fun.

Last edited:

joewlms3

May 20, 2009
south carolina
if i remove the piston from the cylinder in order to clean up the ports will i have to get new rings even though the engine hasnt been run? anyone done it before without rings failing right afterwards?

also. im realizing it might be a while before i actually have the engine running are there any problems i could look for to be sure this is a good engine not in need of returning while it sets on the shelf waiting on me to order hubs for the bike?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
if i remove the piston from the cylinder in order to clean up the ports will i have to get new rings even though the engine hasnt been run? anyone done it before without rings failing right afterwards?

also. im realizing it might be a while before i actually have the engine running are there any problems i could look for to be sure this is a good engine not in need of returning while it sets on the shelf waiting on me to order hubs for the bike?
I have had my motor apart several times without replacing the rings and so far no problems.

Spray some wd 40 in the cylinder and in the crank case around the bearings and crank shaft so it does not rust up.

joewlms3

May 20, 2009
south carolina
had ordered rims and spokes from husky. they got here today the rims were supposed to be 26x2.125" wide but they are more like 1.5"! now i know 26" means the outside of the tire on bicycle rims not the actual rim measurement but this doesnt seem correct am i missing something or they sent me the wrong thing? i ordered 11g spokes and the look pretty tuff compared to whats on my mountainbike(14g) but they dont look excessive like i had imagined anybody have any experience with this stuff

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
had ordered rims and spokes from husky. they got here today the rims were supposed to be 26x2.125" wide but they are more like 1.5"! now i know 26" means the outside of the tire on bicycle rims not the actual rim measurement but this doesnt seem correct am i missing something or they sent me the wrong thing? i ordered 11g spokes and the look pretty tuff compared to whats on my mountainbike(14g) but they dont look excessive like i had imagined anybody have any experience with this stuff
What was the part number you ordered? Was it the same on your invoice?